400hp 3.4dohc.... RIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sonyman87

...And I wasn't talking about Aaron's reference to the 285HP L98 Vette. I've worked for a GM dealership before so I know which Vette you (and Aaron) are referring to.

I was speaking to Sonyman87. He mentioned that he's planning on owning a twin turbo C5.

Aaron wasn't talking about a brand new Z06 having 285 hp guys. He was talking about the L98 motor'd vette's that were around when the Lumina came out. Even so, I think they had 245 in L98 form.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• 91GranSport

• turbostewhite

• Bolt_Crank

The LT1-equipped Vette had only 285HP to begin with, but ended up having 305HP later on. Eventually they came with the 335HP LT4, shortly before the C5 came out.

Either way, you're right. The Corvette is geared to be a performance car. You can drop a 285HP 3.4L Twin Cam engine into a W-Body and it still wouldn't be as fast because the W-Body was never meant to be a true performance car to begin with.

the LT1 vetts only had 285 wounderful ponies under the hood, but if the lumina also had 285 hp, the corvette would still win. come on, seriously, a lighter, wide-tired, low profile corvette could spank a lumina. think about it.

I bet I can beat a C5 Corvette. How? Simply. If the driver in the Corvette is an absolute idiot.

Not that I think you're a liar, but I find it very, very difficult to believe that you beat an LT1-equipped F-Body. At least if we take into consideration that both drivers were well experienced.

You need some serious modifications to run with those bad-boys. I've driven many LT1-equipped F-Body cars and even the stock ones are monsters.

then how can i beat a 285hp LT1 automatic camaro??? and dont blame it on gears, and yes, this is from a rolling start.

FWD doesnt lose nearly the power as RWD, and remember, those corvettes were shifting at 5500 for the L98, 5800 for the LT1, and thats redlien for the sticks. so set that back a couple hundred for the auto. and since i was running to 7200, that gives me a HUGE advantage.

the LT1 vetts only had 285 wounderful ponies under the hood, but if the lumina also had 285 hp, the corvette would still win. come on, seriously, a lighter, wide-tired, low profile corvette could spank a lumina. think about it.

according to a site I saw (can't remember URL)

the new Z06 is 3200 lbs....

Not that I think you're a liar, but I find it very, very difficult to believe that you beat an LT1-equipped F-Body. At least if we take into consideration that both drivers were well experienced.

You need some serious modifications to run with those bad-boys. I've driven many LT1-equipped F-Body cars and even the stock ones are monsters

ok my dad has a LT1 6-speed camaro, i think i know how fast it is. and trust me, it isnty all that fast. just gob of goob oads of torque. a lot is what that means. i cant beat him, it has just over 35k miles, and it slowly pulls away, but it isnt an all out ass whooping. now the autos are down a lot from the 6-speeds. when the autos shift, it drops them to about 3100 rpm. now the LT1 doesnt have a say "power band" liek the 3.4, but it does not make max power till redline, so its constantly picking up. so to say that it has 285 so it will beat me isnt true, cuz it doesnt make that 285 till past redline, 600 past the auto's shift point. ive had our LT1 to 6200, and it made max at 6100, the autos shift at 5500, redline at 5800. so the autos dont make 285. cuz they shift before that.

and truthfully, the LT1 is a bad car, a RWD Posi is more fun than 2 girls with no clothes! well, almost........but face it, they arent that awful fast. dotn talk about someones car and what it can and cant do until you have ridden in it, cuz trust me, the 8ft of 7in rubber marks i left into 2nd gear were mine. really they were.....

My car is eight years old. I could care less if it beat out a Camaro of the same year, much less a horse-drawn buggy.

Leave it alone guys. Saying doesn't mean squat against actually doing. ...and as far as that de-tuned LQ1 is concerned...it never existed and it never will. If it ever did, it couldn't have possibly been anything resembling the design of the LQ1. Facts and myths are very far apart.

The engine is what it is - and is what it was meant to be. Nobody in their right mind would have made a coupe (not a 2+2, but an actual coupe) run with that kind of horsepower. Fewer people would actually buy the damned thing. But that's just my opinion on common sense.

ok ???? i have driven a Z06 Corvette auto that my aunt has and after feeling the ballcrushing acceleration i highly doubt that one of out cars can beat one. yea it's a auto but my uncle has the 6-speed( i like that alot better!!!).

I'm not sure where I heard this... but it seems pretty accurate :lol:

"anything can be faster than anything else, if you put enough money into it"

stock? no way a W could hang with any Vette, but enough mods, and it could beat a stock vette

i can maybe push mine faster :P

That Willkevin Shatbacon Peformance blown engine package had better do its phuckin' job then.

seriously. i had to race the sh!t outta it in order to get that package, itd better be worth it! and think of it, i saved so much weight too! cuz now i dont even have a motor in it!!!

The Z06 is only available in a 6-speed.

ok ???? i have driven a Z06 Corvette auto that my aunt has and after feeling the ballcrushing acceleration i highly doubt that one of out cars can beat one. yea it's a auto but my uncle has the 6-speed( i like that alot better!!!).

I've driven four F-Body cars equipped with the LT1, from a stock Camaro Z28 to a highly modified Trans Am WS-6. Even the stock F-Body was fast. Was it the fastest car I've driven? No, but even a stock F-Body is enough to blow the doors off any W-Body, even if it's a Gen2 equipped with the L67 and 4T65-E/HD.

Even if a 6-speed F-Body doesn't have the rev range that a 3.4L Twin Cam has, it has overall more power and torque, and weights only a bit more than the average W-Body. The LT1 doesn't need to make 285HP to beat you, it's geared for performance from the beginning and it will beat you regardless. More than half of it's torque is available off idle, and from midrange and up it has over three-quarters of it's total power. And forget about numbers, no 3.4L Twin Cam can beat an F-Body unless it has some serious modifications. The LT1 isn't some wimpy little motor, and it doesn't need to get to redline to produce power. It's power is available throughout most of the rev range. That's why it was a far better motor than the L98 that it replaced. The L98 ran out of breath at 5200RPM and hp. Even if the 3.4L Twin Cam has a far better rev range, it's power doesn't come strong until later on, and finding mods for it are damn near impossible.

ok my dad has a LT1 6-speed camaro, i think i know how fast it is. and trust me, it isnty all that fast. just gob of goob oads of torque. a lot is what that means. i cant beat him, it has just over 35k miles, and it slowly pulls away, but it isnt an all out ass whooping. now the autos are down a lot from the 6-speeds. when the autos shift, it drops them to about 3100 rpm. now the LT1 doesnt have a say "power band" liek the 3.4, but it does not make max power till redline, so its constantly picking up. so to say that it has 285 so it will beat me isnt true, cuz it doesnt make that 285 till past redline, 600 past the auto's shift point. ive had our LT1 to 6200, and it made max at 6100, the autos shift at 5500, redline at 5800. so the autos dont make 285. cuz they shift before that.

and truthfully, the LT1 is a bad car, a RWD Posi is more fun than 2 girls with no clothes! well, almost........but face it, they arent that awful fast. dotn talk about someones car and what it can and cant do until you have ridden in it, cuz trust me, the 8ft of 7in rubber marks i left into 2nd gear were mine. really they were.....

even if it's a Gen2 equipped with the L67 and 4T65-E/HD.

remember tho, i can beat the L7 cars pretty easily. look, my dad has an LT1, i know how fast it is, and yes, it is quick, and yes, it will beat me. as far as geared for performance, do you mean as in gearing. cuz yah that -speed is kick ass, but we shift at the same points, if you hold his 2nd gear to 6000rpm it will be at 0mph, mine at 7000 rpm will be at 0. so overall, our gearing according to our redliens is about the same, with him having to go only 200 past redline to get to my speed at redline. the only thing having gears does is make you shift all day long cuz his massive tq gets through gears fast, and it gives him a really long 6th gear, ive never gotten 6th past 2500, even going 110.

look, i race LT1's alot, and i hold right beside the autos, especially the 93s. but i am no match for the 6-speed.

Do I know what it means for gearing? Excuse me, I work for Kenworth so I know all about gears considering the vehicles I work with have both front and rear differentials and 18 fucking speeds.

I really, really want to see what you car can do on the track. Like I said, I'm not calling you a bullshitter (at least not yet) but for a W-Body to beat a stock L67-equipped Gen2 easily like you claim, it has to have significant power. Not just at the crank, but at the wheels too. I don't know what mods you've done to your 3.4L Twin Cam in order to produce this power, and bring it to the wheels but it has to be pretty damn good. Also, like I mentioned earlier, I worked at a GM Dealership so I know all about the LT-1 F-Body. I probably know more about it than my own damn L26 W-Body.

BTW: The '93 LT-1 isn't that much different from the '94-'95 LT-1, and the '96-'97 LT-1 had only a bit more power than the other previous LT-1s.

do you mean as in gearing. cuz yah that -speed is kick ass, but we shift at the same points, if you hold his 2nd gear to 6000rpm it will be at 0mph, mine at 7000 rpm will be at 0. so overall, our gearing according to our redliens is about the same, with him having to go only 200 past redline to get to my speed at redline. the only thing having gears does is make you shift all day long cuz his massive tq gets through gears fast, and it gives him a really long 6th gear, ive never gotten 6th past 2500, even going 110.

look, i race LT1's alot, and i hold right beside the autos, especially the 93s. but i am no match for the 6-speed.

i have a redzmonte COld air intake and exhaust, FFP UD pulley and chip, and magnecore 8.5mm wires. so basically very lightly modded.

im pretty sure i can pull a 14.78 at 92.68 at the track :roll: as for that being altitude adjusted(we were at 1200ft), it turns down to a high 14.5 or a low 14.6, cant remember. By pure slips, that is faster than a 97-02 GTP. and then consider i only race the L67s from rolling starts, where i have every advantage in the world.

Anyone know how to tweak those horsies and torque out of the 3.4? Without adding any hardware...like cam or messing with the heads? Has to be pretty simple, if GM originally made the engine THAT strong, doncha think?Maybe a simple chip/intake/exhaust combo?

there was a guy with a fiero who put a 3.4 in it. he removed the plenum, replacing it with a "box" with a throttle body attached to it. this did it, i think he made like 270 or somehting, but his idle sucked, it was extremely loud, and gas mileage sucked more than DykZ34's boyfriends.