winter tires

dirt_igirt

alternate idea

:lol:

j/k

so right now it has 16 inch tires? most people think that the narrower tire would be better for harsh weather conditions. I don;t know what year you have, but you could just get some 15 inch steelies with fresh rubber for pretty cheap. Or do you mean you want to stick snow tires on the 16s?

i suggest getting and making the 15s your winter tire. tires would be cheaper and a wider tire is more prone to slipping in the snow.

Not so much slipping as the wider tire doesn't cut through and dig down as much.

Michelin X-Ice I used on my TSX last year and loved them. Very quiet for a winter tire. GREAT on ice, good in deep snow.

Goodyear Nordic tires I have on my Lumina - good on ice, GREAT in deep snow.

There is always a tradeoff but if I had to choose I'd take the X-Ice

Bridgestone Blizzaks

/Thread.

Had it on a BMW i drove over the winter, never had a problem.

The WS-60 is a nice tire. I would say they are one of the bEST tires you can get, but they only last two seasons or so. Very soft rubber - great ice stability but there is that wear trade off. My Goodyear tires are still @ 80-90% after 3 winters.

Bridgestone Blizzaks

/Thread.

My mom had those on her Grand Am, they were a great tire, but I paid less for my Winterforces and the were the same if not better...

I have never driven a Michelin tire (winter or all season) that I have liked.

Jamie

Bridgestone Blizzaks

/Thread.

The WS-60 is a nice tire. I would say they are one of the bEST tires you can get, but they only last two seasons or so. Very soft rubber - great ice stability but there is that wear trade off. My Goodyear tires are still @ 80-90% after 3 winters.

The tires didnt wear away too bad over the last winter.

They just grip like no other lol

I've had Michelin Pilot Alpins, not overly impressed with the performance for how much I paid.

The Dayton/ Firestone Winterforces that Jamie posted are a great tire. (running his 2 yr old set on the Alero)

Another great set of winter tires I currently have are Hercules Avalanche Xtremes. (running on the International)

Both the above mentioned tires offer a great balance of performance vs. treadlife vs. cost value.

Bridgestone Blizzaks

/Thread.

Yep ran those last winter on my 98, pissed me off once cause I couldn't slide in the parking lot after work when it snowed 5 inches during the day.

I use Hankook Winter I-Pike's have had them for my second winter so far, and work great for snow and slush.

x2 I have I-Pikes, first snow tires I've used so I don't really know how they compare, but they are a hell of a lot better than all-seasons, plus the price was good and tread-ware seems very good.

Bridgestone Blizzaks

/Thread.

Yep ran those last winter on my 98, pissed me off once cause I couldn't slide in the parking lot after work when it snowed 5 inches during the day.

E-Brake owns all lol.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi's

/Thread

For all around winter tires, they are really hard to beat. Fantastic on ice, yet don't feel too squishy on dry pavement, Really good in deep snow,quiet, plus they don't wear too fast either. They are also constructed with the same rubber compound all the way through,plus siped all the way through, meaning that they will retain their winter traction properties pretty well up until you hit the wear bars.

The downside is that they can be pretty pricey, I picked mine up used, on rims for 500 bucks.

My mom's lumina rides around on a set of Goodyear nordics. They are good tires too. Awesome in the snow, and ok on ice. Definately better than all seasons, but not as good as my Nokians.

• 2 weeks later...

We get a lot snow being right off the lake. When I select tires anymore they're the cheapest winter tires I can find that look like they'll pack up. A tire that looks like it'll pack with mud will pack with snow too. I like this because the snow seems to grip snow better than a normal tire but that's my preference and I've lived here all my life. Studs are a nice touch but my usual stomping grounds are pretty level so I may run without them this year. Honestly my W did great last year with all seasons and the only reason I'm getting new ones for winter is that they're BEAT.