Leather conditioners?

AWeb80

I have never had leather till i got the Aurora and it has leather seats.

What do you all like as far as conditioners? the seats are in pretty good shape and charcoal in color.

I was never a fan of those all in one products that claim they're softening while I'm trying to wipe all the dust, dirt and grime out of the leather. I can't see how you're getting maximum results while you scrub all that out, and wiped it off/dry it to get the filth off the seats. I want the leather clean as can be BEFORE I put on the conditioner to soften the leather.

I'm a big fan of the Lexol leather products. They have a separate cleaner and conditioner, and the cleaner contains glycerin, and is pH balanced. Plus, they smell great. Almost like new leather.

Lexol-combo-lg.jpg

i use lexol. its $9 a bottle so its not cheap. if the leather is really dirty, use a mr clean magic eraser, spray the stuff on and let it soak. i have no cracks and the leather is soft at 93k miles.

Lexol is great stuff.

When I ran the detail shop at the dealership, we used little denture toothbrushes to clean everything in the interior with.. including the seats. You can find them at walmart.

Using a very mild cleaning agent on the leather and a brush like that would get in to all the contours of the leather. I can remember seats that *looked* clean would turn a white cloth brownish/black in a matter of no time. It's amazing how much dirt leather can hold. No sense in conditioning the dirt that's trapped in the leather.

So, clean first, then condition

Yes. You'll need a damp towel to apply the cleaner to. Comes up almost soapy. I just use a round microfiber applicator pad, with brushes as Luke described for all the tiny crevasses and hard to reach places. I'll thoroughly do 2 rounds of that, wiping off the seats after each round. Then I'll do 2, maybe 3 rounds of the conditioner, depending on how quickly the leather sucks it up. When it just looks supple and soft, I know it's done.

Most parts stores carry it. http://www.lexol.com/retailers.html

Using a very mild cleaning agent on the leather and a brush like that would get in to all the contours of the leather. I can remember seats that *looked* clean would turn a white cloth brownish/black in a matter of no time. It's amazing how much dirt leather can hold. No sense in conditioning the dirt that's trapped in the leather.

That's precisely why I don't use a "2-in-1" type cleaner. The difference it makes to get in there, and really break loose all the crap that's trapped in creases and embroidery is night and day in the finished product.

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to use a leather cleaner/conditioner that I actually like. The Meguiar's leather wipes are greasy and feels like you're wiping Armor All on your seats (glass cleaner gets that shit off if you've ever had that happen). If and when I get my Grand Prix and re-upholster the seats in leather, I'm going to use the Lexol stuff that you guys talk about. I've heard lots of great things about that, but I haven't had many cars with leather.

I finally found some leather stuff with neatsfoot in it. meguiar's gold class leather care spray has it.

I wonder if Lexol has the neatsfoot in it, can someone verify this by looking at the ingredients?

I use lexol too. I did half of my back seat (cause that's as far as I got), the side I did is soft as hell and the side I didn't get too is as stiff as cold vinyl. I used it on my steering wheel in the GP the other day too, worked great!

Lexol is awesome!

Someone commented on a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser....becareful with that it. When I used the "extra strength" one on my console it took some of the color out (I thought it was grime at first) Aerospace 303 brought some of that back.