96 GP mirror on my TGP

meltboy1

I picked up a pair of pretty nice lookin red mirrors at the junkyard the other day and was gona put them on the TGP. Do they use the same wiring harness or will I have to modify it?

I picked up a pair of pretty nice lookin red mirrors at the junkyard the other day and was gona put them on the TGP. Do they use the same wiring harness or will I have to modify it?

they should use the same harness.

the 96 mirrors should also be plastic which IMO is better than the metal mirrors a TGP (or any mid-92ish and earlier W) would have. that's to say breakaway mirror > door busting mirror.

and paint them black... :lol:

I didnt know that there was a differance between them.......

Metal

plastic

who would have thought.

yeah I didn't know this for a while myself.

The metal mirror can rip the door skin off the door if it gets hit just right. my 91 international, for instance.

The plastic mirror can break off, sometimes without even leaving a mark. my 95 CS and 92 Lumina.

mirror replacement > door replacement 24/7/365

Geez Ken, you need to learn how to drive. ;)

CS metal vs plastic mirrors are a different shape. Not really relevant to GP, but a fun fact nonetheless.

Geez Ken, you need to learn how to drive. ;)

CS metal vs plastic mirrors are a different shape. Not really relevant to GP, but a fun fact nonetheless.

no.... not a single one was done by me. 2 by hit and runs and others were as is when I purchased the vehicle.

they are only slightly different. makes sure they are the same material and you will be fine. :lol:

Keep em red and make sure to take pictures! I was thinking of doing this on my TGP but wasnt sure how it would look.

Here's a '89 w/ color matched mirrors.

84_4.jpg

I prefer black mirrors myself. It blends into the glass better and makes them more subtle. They stick out like big ears when body color. They're not bad looking mirrors, but I don't think they're attractive enough to want them to stick out.

the grand illusion concept car in 88 had red painted mirrors. I thought about doing it since mine need painted.

Keep them black! I think the black mirrors along w/ the a-pillar, door handle, etc. offer just the right amount of contrast to the red TGP's.