Help Al learn how to paint

AL

Ok, so painting is all well and good, but how does one clear coat? Also, how do we buff clear coat?

clear coat is EXACTLY like paint... except it tends to run easier, so don't lay it on so thick... buffing clear is exactly the same

Clear coat is NOT applied exactly like paint. With paint, you want multiple light-medium coats until covered. With clear, you want 2-3 medium wet coats. If you apply clear coat like you would paint, it will come out dry and peely. Dont get to carried away with the clear cause it does like to run. Practice spraying on some scrap metal until you can spray it wet without running it.

Maaco's shit doesnt last because they use low quality material and dont spend the amount of time necessary to properly prep for paint. If you were to take your part to an actual body shop they would treat it the same way as I posted above. I would know, I work in a body shop and have gone to two different schools for auto body and refinishing. The body shop may spray a sealer down to help eliminate color bleed through but come on, we are talking about rattle canning the door. How long do you really expect it to last?

Ok, so painting is all well and good, but how does one clear coat? Also, how do we buff clear coat?

clear coat is EXACTLY like paint... except it tends to run easier, so don't lay it on so thick... buffing clear is exactly the same

Clear coat is NOT applied exactly like paint. With paint, you want multiple light-medium coats until covered. With clear, you want 2-3 medium wet coats. If you apply clear coat like you would paint, it will come out dry and peely. Dont get to carried away with the clear cause it does like to run. Practice spraying on some scrap metal until you can spray it wet without running it.

I have to pretty much agree with this and his last statement. It is a fine line between a good clear job, and a run.