Windshield weatherstripping on 95 Olds Cutlass Convertible

rshelton111

I need to replace the weatherstripping on the windshield on my 95 Olds Cutlass convertible. Anyone know what kind it is and where to buy the replacement?

Thanks.

this discussion has been here before but im not sure where it went. i think what we gathered was to get a similar looking piece and put it in in 3 sections left side--right side--top. and use some kind of silicone and ease it in with a flat tool.

i think it was to take a longer strip from another car and chop it up but i cant remember the named car

otherwise i dont think there is a oem replacement or anything for it.

i think this is what your talking bout

myride017-1.jpg

the outer windshield mldg. was always a problem more seen in the hot humid areas of the country. replacements at the time done the same thing. once and awhile i would use a heat gun and get it stretched out and use 3m 8011 sealant to secure. we also used what at the plant they would call two week. it was a black gel type super glue and if you got it on your hands............... my 95 is doing the same thing. interested about the comment on using a 2007 caravan cowl seal though. have to look into that. as far as not having a drain on late built 94's and then into 95, i disagreed with the decision to stop using it but olds division felt at the time it wasn't that big an issue and could save a couple of bucks. seems ridiculous but that's the way manufacturer’s see things. not to hard to make one up. find a piece like a grommet with a nipple installed typically in the pass side of the boot and use clear surgical tubing and go over to the rear antenna drain. install a tee and that's it. planning on doing that to mine when i get it back on the road. another point was the outer black aluminum windshield mldgs.. the reason the early ones and occasionally the later ones would blister up was gas... the impurities in the metal would cure over time and as the gas created by this left the metal the only thing between the metal and the atmosphere was the paint. olds division came out with a detailed bulletin on the sealing procedure and specific paint to be used back in 93 or 94, not sure but the bulletin is out there.

I think one drain is not enough... it needs one on both side.

If some can come up with a suitable retrofit part.... please inform us!

as for the weatherstripping, I have been intending to look for some used from a j/y vehicle (pre-shrunk and all) and glue it on.