'88 2.8L compresser eliminate

Liquid_Neon_00

My compressor is makin noise. My AC system is bone dry and im not in the money to fix anything right now. But the damn thing is noisy and im wondering if anyone happens to know the part number or maybe the size in inches of the belt that would remove the compressor from the serp.

Im gonna measure it up i guess if no one can figure it out. eventuly.... but if anyone knows it would save me time, thx!

My compressor is makin noise. My AC system is bone dry and im not in the money to fix anything right now. But the damn thing is noisy and im wondering if anyone happens to know the part number or maybe the size in inches of the belt that would remove the compressor from the serp.

Im gonna measure it up i guess if no one can figure it out. eventuly.... but if anyone knows it would save me time, thx!

You need a belt from a 88 Corsica 2.8L W/O A/C

You need the same idler pulley and bolt from the sam vehicle. You can get it from your local dealer and it comes with a bolt, should be about $25

I did this to my old 89 Grand Prix and it was a cake walk, you will see on your timing cover a threaded hole already there ready for the idler pulley

I forget what belt it is, but you can get a shorter belt to completely bypass the compressor with no idler pulley necessary.

I forget what belt it is, but you can get a shorter belt to completely bypass the compressor with no idler pulley necessary.

Only if you want 4% of the power steering pully to come into contact with the belt.

Only if you want 4% of the power steering pully to come into contact with the belt.

x2, do the proper method, get the idler pulley from a Corsica.. GM thought it was a proper thing to do, so I would follow suit and get it.. I was a cake walk for me to install...

you mean water pump. While I've never done it before I've seen it done for long periods of time with no ill effects.

I'm not saying you *should* just that you can. If the compressor is that bad, I'd do whatever is cheapest/easiest to keep the car going till I could do it right.

You would be surprised how cheap it is to fix A/C. I replaced all of my o-rings, accumulator, my orifice tube, bought a hose and gauge, bought and filled up 2 cans of PAG oil, 39 oz (3 cans) of R134A refrigerant for somewhere around $100.

Not bad considering how much a shop would charge you to do it.

I would seriously keep the compressor on there if you are at all considering fixing it in the future. If you take it off, you might as well take off the condenser to shave some weight off the car.

I am seriously considering keeping the compresser. Only issue is that if the damn thing is makin noise all the o-rings in the world wont stop me from needing an over $300 new compressor. I really wanted to recharge it for the summer, i am certified in AC recharge :mrgreen:

But i dunno if i wanna spend the money to do it. Ah well, we'll see what happens.

I got a new compressor for $85ish shipped of e-bay. it was NOS delco.

this was for a 95, which I never see a good compressor in the j/y. but the earlier style ones tend to appear to be in better condition if you choose to go that route....

When I got my Bonneville the AC was totally shot. The compressor looked like the clutch exploded and it made horrid noises in the end I ended up replacing the following to get great AC that has worked for the past year now.

Compressor $15 - used

Condenser $130 - Advance auto

Accumulator $25 Pep Boys

Oil and Freon ~$25

not bad considering what all needed done. And the used compressor is holding up great.