99 LTZ Wheels

karrkrazzie

I want to re-do the wheels on my lumina but do not know how. They have lots of defects on them and would like to just strip off the finish or whatever I have to and paint them black. Thing is, like i said, I have no idea how to do this, what to use to take the finish off, and what kind of paint to use. I don't want to do a half-ass job, I want to do it the right way, any input would be great.

use aircraft stripper for removal....they make a rattle can wheel paint/clear that works well if you choose not to powdercoat....fwiw: those wheels look like ass painted black

This is the wheel my LTZ came with... It could be the same wheel Matt posted with a different center cap, but on the ones I've seen in person, they look a little bit different..

b599_1.JPG

5067.jpg

This is them, idk, i guess now that i think about it i can see what you are saying about the black too, i guess i could just keep them silver.

where can i get aircraft stripper?

and how hard is powdercoating?

Most auto parts stores have aircraft cleaner. They also will cary the spray can wheel clear. I used that on my wheels and I havent had any issues.

*Just don't get that aircraft cleaner in your eye. Burns like hell!! Also, wear rubber cloves! It'll burn your skin!

Good luck!

I've got one of the DIY powdercoating guns from summit. We're going to re-finish some parts for my dads 87 Elcamino and some stuff for his Tahoe. Haven't gotten around to using it yet though..

The biggest PITA is that You have to have an ELECTRIC oven to bake the stuff in (your normal household one), and obviously it cant be one you want to ever use with food again so it must be a spare....so we're trying to find a cheap one on CL and the time to get it and try this thing out..

They're supposed to work well, but not worth it if you don't plan on doing lots of stuff in the long run with it. Like we do with the drag cars n such.

So the point is, if you're interested, check them out at Summit, they're not terribly expensive, otherwise just find a good shop locally.