painted lips on my rims

dirt_igirt

• 3 weeks later...

Mine are almost done! Saw this corvette posted on my photography forum back in January

RigShotFinished.jpg

So far I have the rims powder coated Mercedes Deep Gloss Black.

Next week My lip vinyl will be here, I am having a 3/8" vinyl sticker cut out of reflective red industrial grade vinyl.

Here is where they sit! Should be done next week! WOOHOO!!

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

Jamie

cat is out of the bag!!

no shit.... how long have I been sitting on this idea? lol

Not letting my other project out till its done though :burnout:

Jamie

damn munky!!! thats great!! how much did you oaid to get them powdercoated?? If you dont mind that is of course :wink:

ummmm, how about you do silver and I do red lol.

I already have them like that :mrgreen:

$80 per wheel!!! :eek:

That includes sand blasting, removal of all the curb rash (there wasn't much), he cleaned up any other dings as best he could, and of course the powder coat. He doesn't have the equipment to do a polished lip though, no wheel lathe FTL!

Center caps came from an ebay auction for a Pontiac Minivan!

Jamie

wheel lathe? you mean powder coat and machine finish the lip? that would be crazy.

you could have just masked off the lip and painted with regular urethane base/clear car paint. that's how I did the finish on mine and it held up good(except for the clear on the lip, that is harder to get to stick). they don't come with powdercoat originally. at least I don't think so because you can't chemically strip powdercoat right???

..but that will look good with the red vinyl.

The guy at the shop said there is no safe way to mask the lip because of the baking process. At any rate for my intentions, it didn't matter cause I didn't want a polished lip anyways, lol

Jamie

Yeah they told me once when I inquired about powdercoating that they couldn't mask off the lip. Well actually he said they could but it was going to be like double the price.

Those look nice Jamie. I totally missed the unveiling since you hid it within this thread! Where are you laying the red down? On the outermost ridge of the lip? That's where it should go, as your going to want it at the widest point...but that will also be the most vulnerable to abrasions. I'm about to take my second set into have them finish them up...then a set of spacers for the front...then tires...blahblah...blahblah...

nope, its going to be on the wide part just inset from the edge that would get the curb rash. The vinyl they are cutting is 3/8" wide... trust me there will be another thread when they get finished. They SHOULD be wrapped in the new rubber by middle of next week.

Jamie

forgot to mention i didnt have them blasted before i started painting i just cleaned the really good i am going to take them to my grandpa and get them balsted and i will prolly have him paint them he ran his own baody shop out of him home for 30 years he should know what hes doing lol