When to throw in the towel?

Crazy K

That is what I am asking. I need to walk away from one of my fleet. A problem child that has no reasonable chance to breathe more life.

i have 3 verts. and a stockpile of parts.

my 92 vert is an abortion of a project. I swapped in a high mileage drivetrain from my 92 lumina into it. it runs and starts, but had a couple of recent hickups... including a few overheats and major won't run issues.

good:

it is a cutty vert with a clear title.

bad:

it needs:

right door (have)

both rear window motors (have)

at least both rear wheel bearings(have)

bad hole in rear floor (I have an extra floor)

both door handles (have)

complete interior (have)

probably an engine (have)

total paint and dent removal

new top (have decent used one)

rear curtain (have used one)

new fuel pump is defective.(have another new one)

on top of that... it has plenty of cowl shake.

KILL IT OR MOTHBALL IT?

had it been a coupe... it would have been gone long ago. When should you give up on a convertible and walk away?

As what I've suggested before, take all the good parts from the 3 so-so cars, and make 1 nice car. Sell off the rest of the decent parts, scrap the junk.

Win.

Needs too much, sounds like you shouldn't bother to fix it, but what would it cost you to store if you mothball it? Seems to me that if you've got 3 cars you should be able to make at least 2 out of them. And you never know when you'll find a good car that needs a couple of parts that you've already got.

Turn the engine bay into a BBQ grill, removing the LIM and using the crank case for charcoals.

Spray 3" of foam insulation in the trunk to seal it completely, and add a thick layer of paint. Use this as a gigantic cooler for beers/cokes, etc.

Groove cup holders into the bumpers all around.

Weld hinges to allow the doors to open in 90 degree angles and snap into place. Cut off the door pillars, and attach 2 foot wide sheets of particle board on top of the doors, covered with a layer of countertop surface for serving dishes.

Hammer a chalkboard on each side of the center support beam and artistically sketch out menu...

Memorize the following recipe:

Ingredients:

Boneless chicken

Bulls-eye original BBQ sauce

Season All seasoning salt

Lots of potatoes

Lots of butter

Garlic powder

Salt

Pepper

Aluminum foil

Lots of Yellow, Orange, and Red bell peppers

Wash and dice potatoes into thumbnail-size square pieces

Place them on a sheet of aluminum foil

Cover them with a very generous helping of butter (one stick of butter per 4 potatoes)

Lightly sprinkle garlic powder

Moderately sprinkle salt and pepper

Place another sheet of aluminum foil on top, curling the corners inward on both bottom and top sheets of aluminum foil

Place on Grill for 30 minutes

Repeat for bell peppers

Sprinkle a generous helping of seasoning salt on chicken pieces, and BBQ it on the grille, and brush with a light layer of Bulls-eye BBQ sauce

Tow your vehicle to the nearest university campus, and grille food for hungry students between 10:30 AM and 2:30 PM. The smell of BBQ grilling bell peppers, potatoes, garlic, and chicken will lure hoards of students.

Buy a new G8 GXP (or 10 more verts) with the profits.

this kinda sucks.

I have all the parts i need to fix it, but it would still be an $1000 special without serious bodywork and paint.

i am running out of space to store stuff.

and yes, it is the pee hole vert :lol:

Ken, you are a very capable mechanic. You know what you are doing. Quit messing around with complete piles of cars, and put your effort into one GOOD car, or combine as many as you need to make a few good ones. You cannot seriously give all of those things enough time to make any one of them decent.

Take it from someone who owns way too many himself. I NEED at least 2 cars to go away before I can even think of doing anything decent.

Hey! Where'd you come from Paceguy?? Get over to the newb's section and post up some pics of that girl! We had seen one for sale recently, have you had it for a while?

Welcome!

Umm.../end hijack

How rotten is the underside?

See the problem with all of these cars we all have, is the resale value is crap. So while you have all of the parts and you are capable of fixing it, is it worth it in the end? By that, I mean if you decide to get rid of it, can you get the money back out? Or are you doing it for enjoyment?

My 90 is more for enjoyment. I should have given up a long time ago. But for some reason I am stuck on keeping it and fixing it up. It's a slow process, and while the body isn't pretty and it needs rockers and paint, it's still solid underneath.

I have 2 other Luminas I can rely on no matter what during the winter months, and another one plus my show cars during the summer. So I am able to keep the 90 and put a bit of money into it when I have it. My back isn't against the wall. If I can't fix it or I don't have the money, I don't it just sits until I can do so.

Bottom line of my reply; if you really need a reliable car(s) and you feel it's right to keep it and fix it up, do it! And take pics so we can see!

If not, take the parts and make a real reliable, nice car and put your time, money and interest into them. The choice is yours.

In the end, it's your decision to make. Sounds like you're car rich and pocket poor (too many verts and not enough money to care for them all). I'm partial to verts as I own one myself, so I'd hate to see another one meet the crusher. I guess, as others have said, if you can make a really nice one from the others, then the sacrifice might be worth it. That really nice one might help ease the pain :dunno: Either way, I'd really like to see pics of them no matter what the condition.

Tom

Ken, you are a very capable mechanic. You know what you are doing. Quit messing around with complete piles of cars, and put your effort into one GOOD car, or combine as many as you need to make a few good ones. You cannot seriously give all of those things enough time to make any one of them decent.

Take it from someone who owns way too many himself. I NEED at least 2 cars to go away before I can even think of doing anything decent.

You know chris I wouldnt mind taking one of yours.

DECISION: fix and sell as is, cheap. someone somewhere will give me enough to make it vanish. by this time next week, whatever is done is done and the car will be on craigslist. if it is not sold by the end of Feb, I am scrapping it.

There are better more solid car to fix and flip out there, if I choose to do so. why waste what energy I have got on this heap?

sell what you can, fix one if you can do it quick/easily and then sell. Picking up Jay's would be a decent move after you get everything else squared away. I'd almost consider it, except I want to move on to something else and not have to worry about things breaking, as well as I need something more utilitarian and less teenage-fun-car