any ways to make my 1992 lumina Euro 3.1 faster and more powerful

mike_lumina92

you see i have a 1992 lumina euro 3.1mpf1 engine

and i want ways to make my car faster and more powerful, increase horsepower or at least sound more powerful

let me know anything....

yeah, i got a magna flow muffler and dual exhuasts at the muffler shop already paid for, i jus need to take time to go get them put on,

tune up and cold air intake

will these make it noticably faster or powerfull

• Like 1

Probably not much faster, but it should sound nice. If it hasn't had a tuneup anytime recently, it will probably run better also. Do plugs, wires, O2 sensor, and fresh fluids at least.

• Like 1

turbo the 3.1.....

ooooh sounds like a great idea

give me some infromation on turboing my engine

SEARCH, this has been covered in many threads.. there is one big thread that one member has about installing stock Turbo 3.1 parts on a stock N/A 3.1 engine. It was pretty successful.

If you want to go faster, you can put tiny tires on it :lol: You'll be able to spin them AND your speedometer should back up your speed gains :lol:

But to be serious, try a SMALL shot of nitrous, or perhaps do some serious weight reduction if you don't care to strip the car of a shitload of stuff. OR, have it turbocharged as someone suggested, but based on the simplicity and generical state of your question, I have reason to believe that you are not quite qualified to do the job yourself. Find a reputable shop with all the necessary equipment and see what they can do.

OR, screw the 3.1 and just drop in an LQ1 or supercharged 3800.

Gearing is another area you could focus on.

Even better, combine a number of those things if you don't mind the extra time, money, and difficulty that will come with it.

You could also try simple bolt-on modifications (air filters/intake, exhaust, etc.) or some other small mods, but those don't make a very noticeable difference, if they do at all. If your catalytic converter is clogged, then removal/replacement of that should easily free up some power.

start by getting the maintence done on it first like, plugs/wires (delco's), fuel filter, clean the throttle body out, service the brakes so the calipers are not draging (fresh lube on the slider pins).

then once that is done move on to getting more air in and out of the engine.

how much are you looking to spend and are you doing the work your self?

• Like 1

me writing this post must have made me sound like a complete dumb ass....

i know what i'm doin, my bro is an ase certified machanic, and he teaches me all he knows

i just wrote it like that to get different ideas and opinions...

i know how to do it

just give me any suggestions

You don't need the whole engine, just the upper intake and turbo specific parts.

Josh has questioned that. of course.... i will be able to answer that question soon.

I have a Turbo crank in cleveland and a NA crank here.

He thinks his built car runs poorly cause he heard the crank reluctor was changed.....

So its not important to a turbo setup is what we are all saying. MAT sensor can go anywhere in the intake and if your intake air temp sensor is getting hot enough that it melts plastic and requires metal, its time for an intercooler.

The reluctor didnt change cause its the same casting as the NA cranks.