Rear suspension noise- annoying as ever

Masterchief362

So, a few months ago I decided it was time to replace the rear struts. They became noisy and saggy and were over 10 years old. SO, replaced them and the ride got a lot smoother, BUT, the clunking in the rear got worse. I was cheap and put Gabriel Ultras on, and yes they suck, but the noise can't be from the struts, can it? Any clues as to what else I may need to replace?

The noise is terrible on slightly bumpy roads, when riding on smooth highway there is none. Put people in back and it gets worse.

inspect your monoleaf and make sure it is in good shape with no cracks.

also checkout the rubber bushings at the ends of the monoleaf. if those are gone you will get noise. replace them with either new rubber bushings or those NAPA brand white monoleaf plastic pad things. should be able to find the NAPA part number in the FAQ section.

also checkout the rubber bushings at the ends of the monoleaf. if those are gone you will get noise. replace them with either new rubber bushings or those NAPA brand white monoleaf plastic pad things. should be able to find the NAPA part number in the FAQ section.

That is what it is on my car...I just realized it was that before I put it away for the winter. It's like a creaking noise on any part of pavement that isn't smooth.

How do you replace those bushings?

I got the Birchmount shop to do mine, I really don't think that they would have charged a cent less just to give them to me.

That is what it is on my car...I just realized it was that before I put it away for the winter. It's like a creaking noise on any part of pavement that isn't smooth.

How do you replace those bushings?

Jack up one side of the rear and place it on a jack stand. Using the floor jack and a block of woof jack up the spring itself on one side and slip in the new bushing or those poly pucks. It's pretty easy procedure

Jack up one side of the rear and place it on a jack stand. Using the floor jack and a block of woof jack up the spring itself on one side and slip in the new bushing or those poly pucks. It's  pretty easy procedure

Yep.. John did a write-up in the FAQ section as well with pics..

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=39878.0

• 2 weeks later...

Well I bought new monoleaf pads today (the plastic block ones) and hopefully this does the trick. The car is a 95 and they have never been replaced, and the rear kinda sags. :lol:

Went to an alignment parts warehouse locally, and just said I need monoleaf pads. Guy looked it up in his book and got me $34 Moog isolator pads. The plastic blocks. I threw the box out so I don't have the part number. I can check tomorrow though.

• 2 weeks later...