What kind of spark plug to put in TGP???

dbtk2

I am about to go buy some spark plugs for the TGP and I am wondering if I should get a certain kind of spark plug, or if I should just get whatever their computer says. Thanks

Shawn

Guest Anonymous

I normally use Accels. Right now I have a set of Bosch Supers in it. With the Bosch I've noticed a lack of power in the top end. With the Accels I get good power all the way to 7 grand.

I normally use Accels. Right now I have a set of Bosch Supers in it. With the Bosch I've noticed a lack of power in the top end. With the Accels I get good power all the way to 7 grand

hmmm.........

Robby

AC Delco #R42LTS or NGK Iridium plugs. NO PLATINUMS, EVER!.

I decided not to do the plug change today, but I am wondering why you say no platinums? It may be something really obvious that I am not thinking about, but please explain. I will be doing a plug change in the near future, so I still need to know what I should get.

What I really want to know is if the stock plugs work good with mods, or if I should go with something a heat range or 2 colder (going to get a chip soon, jeff m crossover, and probably P&P heads, injectors, possibly a 50-75 shot of nitrous, custom intercooler, etc...) or what. I don't really want anyones opinion on what plugs they think are good...just what would help and why. Thanks.

With the Accels I get good power all the way to 7 grand.

I am wondering the same thing as robby1870, WTF???

THe reason for no platinums...well for BOSCH ones...the tips fall off. THe tipp over heats and falls off...some of the ceramic around the tip falls off too from too much heat. THeyre good for N/A low power engines but not for boosted and high power engines.

Fact is that stock plugs (AC Delco) work like a charm on mods. The OE TGP plugs should be colder than n/a 3.1 plugs.

If you were to get performance plugs,, then the Rapid fires would do. Also if you insist on platnum...Motorcraft plugs are great. Autolites are great also....Anything from BOSCH (spark plugs)...is crap...especialy the SUper Bosch...thats a fact. Don't even get me started on the ++4s.

hello all, i'm new. platinum plugs are a terrible investment, unless your plugs are impossible to reach (not the case with our cars!) platinum actually conducts electricity worse than copper, which is what most standard plugs are made of. anyone who has actually used nitrous with platinum plugs will know that the nitrous will actually extinguish the spark at higher rpm's, causing it to break up and fall on it's face. platinum doesn't increase power, they just last longer, great for plow trucks etc. tricky advertising makes people believe whatever the manufacturers want! stick with copper plugs, and gap them properly. enjoy

AC Delco #R42LTS or NGK Iridium plugs. NO PLATINUMS, EVER!.

I just bought plugs today and the guy gave me R42TS and I can't remember the difference. L is for the longer electrode right? I have also been told by the p/o to gap it @ .035 w/ the chip I have (Kenny chime in anytime on this one, it's your "broken :roll: " chip.)

I would never use anything but AC Delco. No iridium, platnum or any other snake name metal for plugs. When I did the plugs the front bank had Autolite and the rear had AC delco (the guy did not know how to take the rear ones out so he never did) and the Autolite are physically longer than the AC Delco. Quite the scarry sight, hopefully it did not touch the piston.

Regards

Adam S.

THe reason for no platinums...well for BOSCH ones...the tips fall off. THe tipp over heats and falls off...some of the ceramic around the tip falls off too from too much heat. THeyre good for N/A low power engines but not for boosted and high power engines.

Never had a problem with the platinum plugs on the GTP even with 15psi boost. It has the stock plugs but 2 ranges colder and they work great.

If you were to get performance plugs,, then the Rapid fires would do. Also if you insist on platnum...Motorcraft plugs are great. Autolites are great also....Anything from BOSCH (spark plugs)...is crap...especialy the SUper Bosch...thats a fact. Don't even get me started on the ++4s.

I try to stick with Platinum AC-Delco, and if I HAVE to use copper (like for nitrous or something) I like the Autolites. I don't use Champion (which unfortunately is what is in it now for some reason) or Bosch plugs, just a matter of personal preference.

Fact is that stock plugs (AC Delco) work like a charm on mods. The OE TGP plugs should be colder than n/a 3.1 plugs.

Do you know what the stock plugs are in case they aren't in the computer at Autozone???

platinum plugs are a terrible investment, unless your plugs are impossible to reach (not the case with our cars!) platinum actually conducts electricity worse than copper, which is what most standard plugs are made of. anyone who has actually used nitrous with platinum plugs will know that the nitrous will actually extinguish the spark at higher rpm's, causing it to break up and fall on it's face. platinum doesn't increase power, they just last longer

I know that nitrous and platinum plugs don't mix, if I do decide to get nitrous in the future I will switch to copper plugs. I know that platinum doesn't increase power...it only last about 8 times the life of other plugs. As much as I like working on cars, why would I change the plugs more often then I have to, its not that fun. I would rather have plugs that I know will last 80-100k instead of knowing that i have to change my plugs every 10-15k.

More than one person on this board has had problems w/ the car not running right, (manualturbo that I bought my car off of had this problem) switched the plugs back and viola! But hey, since your other car that is nothing like this car works w/ them go ahead. Everyone else is probably wrong. 8)

Guest Anonymous
With the Accels I get good power all the way to 7 grand.

I am wondering the same thing as robby1870, WTF???

WTF what? If you don't think it'll go to 7 grand, ask gp90se. He rode in the car and commented on how it pulled all the way to 7 grand. Probably not good with 180,000 + on the clock but I take good care of her.

If you don't think it'll go to 7 grand, ask gp90se. He rode in the car and commented on how it pulled all the way to 7 grand. Probably not good with 180,000 + on the clock but I take good care of her.

Oh, I know it will go to 7 grand, but redline is 5500, revving 1500rpms past redline isn't the smartest thing to do.

More than one person on this board has had problems w/ the car not running right, (manualturbo that I bought my car off of had this problem) switched the plugs back and viola! But hey, since your other car that is nothing like this car works w/ them go ahead. Everyone else is probably wrong.

I know people have problem with it, they do on every boosted car when you run platinum plugs that are too hot for the application. You have to get some that are 1 or 2 heat ranges cooler than stock and you will be fine. I understand that the GTP is different than the TGP, but it isn't that different. They are both GM pushrod V6's, they both have intercooled boost (the GTP having 2 times as much as the TGP), they both run the same gas, etc..... I am not saying everyone else is wrong, I have heard of plenty of people in plenty of different cars having these problems, but if you run a cold enough plug it shouldn't be a problem. It is just my opinion that even if I am going to change my plugs every 10,000 miles, it is nice to have plugs that will last 100,000 miles just in case I can't change the plugs because of whatever reason, its just my opinion.

I will probably be going with some platinum AC-Delco plugs. I pulled one of the current plugs and it looked pretty bad, and it is a copper champion plug that looks like it has 20-30k on it. I went to autozone and picked up 6 more of the same plug to replace them with temporarily until I can find some platinum AC-Delco's that will work, autozone didn't have any listed in their computer. If I go with nitrous (50-75 shot, nothing big), I will probably try to find some good autolite copper plugs...does anybody know which ones I should get if I do this?

7 Grand No problem over here. My first couple drives yesterday I wasn't watching the tach just driving it like it wanted to be driven. Then one time I thought, "Hey, I look at the tack. :shock: WOWSA, 7 grand was distant past, pulled w/ no problem past that, again, not a good idea, but it sure does want to go.

Before I forget, it's recommended to have your plugs gapped at 0.040 instead of 0.045 like the #R42LTS's are.

I was planning on gapping them at .040 and I have never read anything about gapping plugs for them before. I just read under the hood that stock gap is .045 so I figured I would gap them at .040 just because I just had a feeling.

I understand that the GTP is different than the TGP, but it isn't that different. They are both GM pushrod V6's, they both have intercooled boost (the GTP having 2 times as much as the TGP), they both run the same gas, etc.....

Whoa hold on there the GTP is NOT intercooled. They only wish it was intercooled. Plus the GTP only pushes 6 psi if you're lucky on stock pulley. 3" puly is able to give you 10psi with drastic pedaling.

Adam S.

Whoa hold on there the GTP is NOT intercooled. They only wish it was intercooled. Plus the GTP only pushes 6 psi if you're lucky on stock pulley. 3" puly is able to give you 10psi with drastic pedaling.

If you read my sig it says it has a lot of mods and runs 12's. It is intercooled and runs a 2.6" pulley making 15psi boost.

But you are correct, stock they aren't intercooled and have a 3.8" pulley making between 6 and 6.5psi boost.