Pre-Purchase Inspection Results on a 1995 - What Does Everybody Think?

djrobnyc

Just had another Cutlass Convertbile inspected by CARCHEX. It has 103,000 miles, and the 3.4L engine. Here are the inspectors comments, with some pictures related to them.

I'm at about $3,200 right now for the car --- good price? Any estimates on what this stuff might cost to fix:

1) rear tail panel -- where the silicone work was done

2) rear window - poorly done with silicone -- how much to replace fix?

3) convertible top

4) oil leak - could be a lot of things, trying to get more info from inspector

The good news: sounds like most of this stuff isn't urgent!

INSPECTOR NOTES

THE RIGHT FRONT FENDER HAS A MINOR 2.5" LONG SCRATCH WHICH IS NOT EASILY SEEN. THERE IS ONE DING IN THE LEFT SIDE DOOR. THE CONVERTIBLE TOP STITCHING IS BEGINNING TO SEPARATE AT THE LEFT REAR CORNER. THE BUMPERS AND CONVERTIBLE TOP TRIM ARE FADED. THE REAR WINDOW AND TAIL PANEL HAVE BEEN POORLY REPAIRED WITH SILICONE. THERE IS NO VISIBLE RUST ON THE UNDERCARRIAGE OR UNI-BODY FRAME.

THE FRONT SEATS HAVE NORMAL WEAR FOR THE VEHICLE'S MILEAGE AND AGE. THE RIGHT FRONT DOOR SILL PANEL IS BROKEN AT THE REAR END. THE OTHER INTERIOR TRIM IS IN GOOD CONDITION. THE INSPECTOR NOTED HE DID NOT SEE ANY REMOTE CONTROLS ON THE STEERING WHEEL. THE VEHICLE IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL. THE HVAC SYSTEM OPERATES AS DESIGNED. THE ENGINE OIL PRESSURE AND AMPERAGE ARE MONITORED WITH WARNING LIGHTS, WHICH ILLUMINATE AS DESIGNED

THERE IS AN ENGINE OIL LEAK FROM AN UNKNOWN SOURCE. THE REAR BRAKES ARE NOISY CONSISTENT WITH THE VEHICLE NOT BEING DRIVEN FOR A WHILE. THERE IS A NORMAL AMOUNT OF WIND NOISE AS THIS IS A CONVERTIBLE. THE VEHICLE RIDES WELL AND THE STRUTS ARE NOT BLOWN OR WEAK.

THERE ARE TWO SETS OF KEYS AND REMOTE ENTRY FOBS WHICH OPERATE AS DESIGNED. THE POWER CONVERTIBLE TOP, INCLUDING THE LATCHES, OPERATES AS DESIGNED. THE WEATHER STRIPPING IS IN NORMAL CONDITION FOR THE TIME AND MILEAGE. THERE ARE NO INDICATIONS OF LEAKS FROM THE CONVERTIBLE TOP. THE CONVERTIBLE TOP TRIM IS FADED. THE REAR WINDOW HAS BEEN POORLY REPAIRED WITH SILICONE.

simply put... are you a person capable of fixing thing?

this may be a good car for you if some of the issues are things you can do.

VERY IMPORTANT. since this is a 3.4 DOHC, you should inspect the belt by removing the timing belt cover. two 8mm bolts on the front. a belt job could go $500 easily.

simply put... are you a person capable of fixing thing?

this may be a good car for you if some of the issues are things you can do.

VERY IMPORTANT. since this is a 3.4 DOHC, you should inspect the belt by removing the timing belt cover. two 8mm bolts on the front. a belt job could go $500 easily.

I think $500 would be a bargain. I just got price of $1020 from local Pontaic dealer and $650 from gas station.

I think $500 would be a bargain. I just got price of $1020 from local Pontaic dealer and $650 from gas station.

My local Chevy dealer and my local mechanic quoted about $900 a while back. I would be careful of the low ball gas station quote. That may be to replace the belt only. From other posts I've read here on this subject, the pulleys should also be replaced to do the job correctly.

Good luck, Tom

and if your going that far down there you might wanna think about the timing chain and tensioners as well or at least adjust the tensioner. thats what i did. turned out to be a good idea since the chain had a lot of slack on it