5spd 3.4 convertible to be

thunderbirdrob

First I would like to say hi to everybody on here--great site. Wanted to share my project with everyone maybe answer questions get suggestion, anyway found a 1992 cutlass 2 door with a 5spd 3.4ltr. Perfect for what I want to do, don't know how rare this car is but oops to late, yanked the motor and trans, what a pain in the ass that was. I swapped out a 2.7 in the Intrepid earlier this year and it was a cake walk compared to this. I am putting the 5spd in the vert. What is really cool though is I have everything I need to keep it factory. I have two 94 convertibles one I will keep stock the other is going to be how GM should have produced these cars. Still tryng to figure out how to put pics and where to put pics and just everything about these forum sites in general so if you are interested I will keep updating as I go and get some pics up here.

Thanks for the response still trying to figure out this picture application. The girlfriend has me helping her move, jeeese cant she get her ex boyfreind or someone i have a car to build

be careful of the clutch hydraulics system. if it gets broke it is EXPENSIVE to replace.

BTW i believe that donor car of yours was 1 of 75

be careful of the clutch hydraulics system. if it gets broke it is EXPENSIVE to replace.

xagreed

this car is not the rarer model year. 91 was the year only 105 or something were built.

xagreed

this car is not the rarer model year. 91 was the year only 105 or something were built.

But that was the International. The 3.4/5 speed was also available in the S and SL.

Same with '92s.

What is the biggest reason for putting a 5 speed in a conv. ?

Is it for better performance or simply a choice to do something different.

I'd do it for something different and it would make it a bit more fun to drive...

BTW, what the hell are you doing online? Aren't you supposed to be headed west?

I had to take one engine out of the intrepid and then out of the doner car. maybe 30 hrs in one car garage. I was done. Okay this 3.4 I also took the tranny with it but must have taken 24 hrs plus still have to get the clutch components out. I will be careful with the hydrulic clutch parts, but one of only 75 made?, maybe I should put it back! On the vert when I pull that engine I will leave the complete wiring harness intact that shoul help alot. I assume I will have to use the ecm from the 92. I believe it has to do with the programming from auto to standard anyboby know for sure? Anyway tommorow remove eveything else in time to watch the paint dry I mean Nascar lol.

okay today pulled the peddles and rest of cables etc. heres a tip for you ( before you start the swap and you have electric seats put the seats forward and remove the back screws, then put the seat all the way back before you remove your wiring harnesses. I learned the hard way. ) To work under the dash and get at the cables etc that go through the firewall you will need to remove the seats and carpet, this makes the job a lot easier. Here is a pic of the peddle assembly and the total raping of a perfectly good dash.lol. everything is intact and reusable.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found the pictures you were telling me about Rob! This project looks pretty cool, when you finish it up, you're going to have to bring it by 60 Nugget next spring so I can check it out, maybe let me take it for a spin? :burnout: :lol:

• 3 months later...