X-lace question. Adam?

3.1cutlass

The silver/gray wheels were painted......the Gold wheels were powdercoated. :smile:.....Got some time on your hands?.......they are not toooooooooooo difficult to refinish if one chooses to do so. $85?.....painted or powdercoated?...and does that include refinishing the lip of the wheel?

The silver/gray wheels were painted......the Gold wheels were powdercoated.  :smile:.....Got some time on your hands?.......they are not toooooooooooo difficult to refinish if one chooses to do so. $85?.....painted or powdercoated?...and does that include refinishing the lip of the wheel?

Thats powder coated. They will media blast the wheel then pc it. I am thinking this color

wheel.jpg

Its called chrome smoke with clear.

Thats powder coated. They will media blast the wheel then pc it. I am thinking this color

wheel.jpg

Its called chrome smoke with clear.

Well......that's not a bad looking color to finish the hub portion of the wheel in complimenting the natural polished lip of the wheel.....what color is the car?...will it go well with that shade?

That color should look good on your car and the price seems about right. Where are you having it done at?

Place in columbus. The only place here is out by the airport and they only do commercial work.

His quote is tempting at $280 with media blasting, but he is nearly 3 hours away from me.

OK......So what I get here is......$280 to do the prep work & powdercoating to the hub....but that *$* doesn't include the polishing of the lip of the rim? that still has to be done by ....whom?

His quote is tempting at $280 with media blasting, but he is nearly 3 hours away from me.

OK......So what I get here is......$280 to do the prep work & powdercoating to the hub....but that *$* doesn't include the polishing of the lip of the rim? that still has to be done by ....whom?

I would probably do that. I found a place that is only an hour away that will do it for

$300. What all is involved in plishing the lip? should it be before or after powder?

Are these the crosslaces that are on your car? Or xlaces like on adam's car.

These a GP xlaces.

You want to refinish the lip before you have the powdercoating applied. If there is no curb rash damage that would need to be removed it's a matter of removing the clearcoat (I personally just used some simple gel paint remover), wet sanding the alloy with wetpaper (again depending on how deep any gashes there may be) start with some 600 and gradually work up to 1500 to 2000 depending on how smooth the finish you want (if you look very closely at the lip surface you'll see and feel a very fine grain to the finish as the wheels are spun on a lathe to machine the shape of the lip). Then using a power buffer and a fine compound to bring up the glossy finish. Speak to the shop who will be applying the powdercoat as they may also suggest coating the lip (yep..powdercoating can be applied clear) as well to protect it from the elements instead of you applying any clearcoat.