windshield lace weatherstrip replaced

jake63

I was able to use a few cowl moulding strips from junkyard w-bodies to make one for the convertible. They had to be cut at a 45 at corners and superglued but fit pretty well when done. I haven't taken any pictures yet but it's pretty easy to do.

On my 93, the lace is intact but has shrunk about 1.5" at each corner and pulled away from the black metal molding. I am also getting a little shrinkage at the lower winsheild lace right at the curve in the middle by the vent.

I also need to spend a little time on this issue...its on the list.

The weather is so nice now....I can't bring myself to disassemble the car becuase of using it occasionally.

I have had a chance to see a GM factory DVD related to top replacement. The DVD shows that the lace we are discussing in glue underneath the black metal molding during top installation.

That is exactly like mine.

A friend of mine and I had the idea of measuring the width from top corner to top corner to find the center of the weatherstrip and cutting it there.

Then....if possible considering it might be glued from the underside....use a heat gun to slide the sections to the left and to the right. This would leave the one gap in the middle which could be filled with something similar or even better....use a (black) metal coupler found on many other makes and models.

This would look like a factory install, solve the shrinkage issue and eliminate unsightly seams and joints in the corners.

Havent tried it yet though. YMMV

i wonder if replacing the windshield would fix this problem

like if a shop would replace or tuck it back in

No go. Had my windshield replaced and the guy said the rubber had shrunk and he couldn't put it back in. I'd have to order a new one, if there are any more.

I have had a chance to see a GM factory DVD related to top replacement. The DVD shows that the lace we are discussing in glue underneath the black metal molding during top installation.

Any idea where I might buy or get a copy of that DVD?

• 1 month later...

i wonder if replacing the windshield would fix this problem

like if a shop would replace or tuck it back in

I took my moldings off to have them beadblasted and repainted and went to two windshield shops to see if they had a replacement for the lace in question and it was no go. I'm thinking of using flexible, self adheisive door edge guard molding that comes in rolls and mitre cutting it. It fits perfectly. I'll post some pictures when It's done.

[/quote

Do you have that DVD? Any way to get copies?

Tom