How do I put nitrous on a junkyard 3.1?

theoldshedsquad

Dave, how big of a shot are you planning on using? With the stock tuning & fuel system, a 100 shot CAN kill a 3.1. I would use a 50-75shot unless you want to do some fuel upgrades + tuning so you can run more.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theoldshedsquad

• meltboy1

• AWeb80

• ManicMechanic

I was thinking about a 150 shot, for a couple of reasons.

1) I have 150bhp jets!

2) I'm sick of going out in the first round

3) As I say, the car is kinda expendable. If I kill it, it just means it'll be going to the crusher in October rather than January and I'll have to find something else to drive ...

I was thinking about a 150 shot, for a couple of reasons.

1) I have 150bhp jets!

2) I'm sick of going out in the first round

3) As I say, the car is kinda expendable. If I kill it, it just means it'll be going to the crusher in October rather than January and I'll have to find something else to drive ...

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. By the way, are you using a wet or dry nitrous kit?

First year for it as I recall.

I distinctly recall Reattas having it in '88. :confused?:

On W bodies. I don't remember seeing anything in my 1989 CS owner's manual about RKE.

My 89 had the option for keyless entry. At least, it is listed in the owners manual.

Hi. I certainly am English ... just north of sunny Birmingham!

And it's a wet kit I'll be using.

A buddy of mine is quite well involved with the Megasquirt crowd, and he's helped me take your info and use it - We reckon a switching relay in the wire from the knock sensor module to the ECU should cause plenty of retard - it will hopefully get tried out this weekend!

Also, a 200-ohm resistor on another switching relay in the IAT circuit should back that up, though we're not sure whether both of those happening at the same time might not cause the ECU to panic - does the ECU on my car have a shutdown/limp-home mode?

Toodle-pip old chap etc etc

awsome man, I am glad this is workin out for you. I don't unfortunately have those answers but I am sure someone here does... but please... make sure you post some vids and pics, I am anxious to see this in action!

• 2 weeks later...

Right, having a few problems. I managed to borrow a cheapo SunPro code reader today - the sort that flashes codes up using your "service engine soon" light on the dash. Problem is, I didn't have the book that tells you what the codes are! Can anyone help?

Codes were 1-2 (which I think is the standard first code flashed)

then 1-3

then 2-3

WTF!?

Many thanks for that, mate.

Damn, I was chuffing about with the IAT sensor the other day. Hope I haven't bust it. If I disconnect the battery for 20 minutes will it clear down the codes? If so, I can see if the same codes come back after I reconnect it.

OK, I disconnected the battery and all that, and the codes went away. Result. At least it was about 4 hours later when the damn thing remembered how to idle ...

For what it's worth, I took the car down the track at the weekend. Previous best was a 17.3, in a partially stripped, pure stock 3.1 four-door GP. In a fully-stripped car with no catalytic convertor, and fresh 5w30 fully-synthetic, it was running 16.8 all day. Then I did a run without the fan belt and it dropped to 16.3 at 81.81mph! Might not bother with the nitrous after all - I swore there was a 15 in this car, and I reckon I might get there without gas! I've already started cutting the side-impact bars out of the doors....