How do I put nitrous on a junkyard 3.1?

theoldshedsquad

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum and live in merrie olde England (which ain't that merry - it's the European FIA Drag Racing finals here this weekend and it's done nothing but rain for a week).

Anyway, I have a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1 LE. Was sold new in the UK by the one and only official North American GM importer. It's a real beater now, but due to the lack of a "proper" race car at the moment I am racing it in the National Street Car Challenge (see www.hotrodgazette.com if you're interested!). The finals are coming up next month ...

This GP is never going to pass its next MoT (annual roadworthiness certificate/test) in January so I've stripped it out and it's going to race in our finals next month ... and it doesn't really matter if I kill it.

Best time so far has been a 17.5 ... not good enough. It's going to get nitroused. I've borrowed a fogger nozzle, I already have an old Sniper kit (with a plate). Does anyone know of an easy way to retard the timing on one of these motors?

Please note: A) I intend to spend NO money on this car if I can help it. B) I live probably 3000 miles from the nearest junkyard with another Grand Prix in it. C) the motor is all but standard

Love the site, would appreciate any help you can offer! And yes, I've asked the same question on the 60degreeV6 forum ... need all the help/advice I can get!

Dave

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theoldshedsquad

• meltboy1

• AWeb80

• ManicMechanic

You could artificially retard the timing by unhooking the knock sensor... the computer will retard the timing to protect the motor.

the knock sensor will be on the rear of the motor, below the alternator. it has one green wire and the sensor is looks like a wide short cylinder, maybe 3/4 inch high by 2 inches in diameter.

I'd like to see this, I've always wanted to see someone blow up one of these motors with No2... have fun with it!! Make sure to post some vids.

You've never seen that video wit hthe 3.1 in the Sunbird when those kids put a 100 shot through it?

I'd like to see this, I've always wanted to see someone blow up one of these motors with No2... have fun with it!! Make sure to post some vids.

You've never seen that video with the 3.1 in the Sunbird when those kids put a 100 shot through it?

No, post a link :twisted:

They may be strong, but ANY hint of detonation/knock under nitrous WILL destroy the engine in a split seconds. Thats the bad thing about the 2.8L/3.1Ls and nitrous. They arent as forgiving as other engines.

Cool, thanks for the info. Now to find the knock sensor! I hope the nitrous won't QUITE kill it ... it's still my daily driver until January! :burnout:

Also, does anyone know what the black box on the rear parcel shelf is and what it does? (I don't have a shop manual - all I have is the Haynes manual that came with my girlfriend's old Grand Am)

Cool, thanks for the info. Now to find the knock sensor! I hope the nitrous won't QUITE kill it ... it's still my daily driver until January! :burnout:

Also, does anyone know what the black box on the rear parcel shelf is and what it does? (I don't have a shop manual - all I have is the Haynes manual that came with my girlfriend's old Grand Am)

Unless you're doing a 50 shot or something little like that, I would seriously rethink putting NOS on a daily driver 3.1. Don't do it until ~ a week before you don't need it. If something happens, you're screwed and without a car.

Pretty Sure it's the keyless entry module.  Didn't know they had keyless entry in 1990!

4687465146.jpg

Also, this view is from the bottom of the trunk, looking up towards the right of the rear shelf.

(ALLDATA images really lack quality.)

First year for it as I recall.

I distinctly recall Reattas having it in '88. :confused?:

On W bodies. I don't remember seeing anything in my 1989 CS owner's manual about RKE.

I don't think the car has keyless entry ... it certainly never came with a keyfob remote or anything, and it's a base LE model.

In the spirit of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I think I'll leave it alone ...

Uhh, lol, this got off topic fast! But kinda back on topic, any update on that video?

(And HORRAH for my 100th post! I feel less like a newb now!)

Crap, that's probably gonna get off topic...

:lol: