Torn axle boot -- what to do about this?

stiv2k

Wow it's been a LONG time since I posted here :confused:

OK so last week I jack my '92 Cutlass Supreme up to change the oil and I see this disaster on my passenger side drive axle. I don't have much money, time or tools so I'm wondering how difficult and expensive this is to repair. Also, I have no idea how long it has been that way for; am I safe to continue driving on it (for a brief period) until I can find time to repair it? It's my only vehicle and I make frequent trips. :redface:

Thanks for your help,

Steve Bularca

you may get a few weeks out of it or a few days. a rainy day wil destroy it. expect a shop to charge about 200-250. to do yourself its kinda easy. all you need is a cheap 2 jawpuller and either a pry bar or what prefer to use, a slide hammer. also you will need the debated 35 or 36mm socket. i say 36 because thats what i used. id say its about an hour job.

The way Hairdo12 explained it is the correct way. You can also purchase a split boot that does not require you to remove the axle from the spindle to install. But I have never heard anything positive or negative from people who have used them.

Been there and done that too. It's a good job to do, but isn't that hard. Change it ASAP! You don't want any dirt or debris jamming up the bearings. Don't forget to get new grease to put in too.

A split boot is nothing but a waste of time and money. I have never heard of a good story about them, but about a dozen negative ones. They will never seal. That CV shaft has only one thing in its future now... the bottome of the garabage can as its already been compromised.

You can probably pickup a reman axle for it for like $60-80. Thats probably the easiest way to do it.

Yup. A reman is about $50, and you have do some decent work but its not that hard. It's probably on its last legs.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure whether or not to get the quick-install boots. I don't quite have the necessary tools required to remove the outer CV shaft although I do have a service manual :)

No its not that hard to change but you need some decent tools and stuff.

That undercarriage looks really clean though.

well it is a florida car so that explains it.

and don't reboot that cv shaft. Get a reman, and they'll give you some money back for your old one as a core.

Back when the wife and I were really poor, her car had a torn boot.

It had been torn for a LONG time. Years, I think. It made popping sounds on sharp turns too.

I just happened to have an extra GM boot kit. I was (and still am) a cheap bastard, so I decided to replace the boot... I already had it, and wouldn't need to spend any money this way. I figured it still worked fine (other than the slight popping on sharp turns which it had done for YEARS) so I figured it was stable and wasn't going to break or anything. Anyhow, I got it apart, the grease in it was all black and gritty full of sand, dirt, and debris. I took it all apart, cleaned it out real well, and soaked the parts in lacquer thinner to get them real clean. Then I reassembled, greasing liberally with the CV grease, packed the boot, and reinstalled and reassembled.

Odd thing, the popping went completely away. The CV seemed completely fine. It worked great for 8 more years.

Moral of the story is I think it can be fixed with a boot kit if you clean it out really well.

I'd use the genuine GM boot kit. They used to be around $20. Not too many special tools required except a band clamp, hub puller, and a C-style axle puller. You can probably loan/rent those things from any auto parts store.

I actually have one of those $20 speediboot kits from Autozone on my pass side axle. The clamps was the worst part of the kit but 3 months later and the axle is fine. Just get the kit and 2 cans of brake klean and some rags and clean that sucker out. Then, pack the joint with grease, tighten the clamps and all the screws and off you go. If you catch it now, the axle is 95% still good and can be still salvageable. I believe the axles are built pretty tough on these cars.

-Jarek