Cleaning Engine

Chinski

My engine is kinda dirty from the past couple of years driving in the winter (they throw hot sand on the roads up here) plus from all the years ov driving it. What can I use to clean it up? I've seen engine de-greasers and stuff, but I'n worried about washing the stuff off and getting water all over everything.

Don't worry about a thing. Use engine degreaser from any Canadian Tire or any other automotive store and spray that stuff on. Let it soak and wash it off with warm water. If you have a pressure washer, that's even better. If you have a hard time getting the crap off, then use a little bit of kerosene but don't let it touch the paint!

I used 3M engine degreaser, worked good on engine but also took some paint off body-colored painted surfaces when scrubbed with brush. Also some silver paint flaked off the 2.8's valve covers. Suggest spraying on hidden painted area, scrubbing, and rinsing to test.

I have had extremely good luck with Simple Green, that shit works great! When I clean up the engine compartment I do cover my alternator with plastic, just as a pre-caution.

• 4 months later...
Try some CRC Engine Degreaser. But I would cover the alternator just as a precaution.

What about the electrical centre packed full of relays and sitting just over the ECM?

I hesitate to spray water everywhere :(

Long, direct contact is what you want to be concerned about... otherwise, since the engine, tranny and all are a self-contained unit and you don't have to worry about it. Just don't expose gaskets to long pressure washing since it might crack / shred a gasket.

I do mine about once or twice a month and use some Simple Green. Great stuff, cuts through the hard grease / sludge... I've never had a problem starting or running the car after a engine power wash. Best of luck!

- RedFox340

I was curious, does any of this stuff discolor the alum/metall on the block/engine at all. You know, from the heat and stuff.

I was told once to use Tide Clothes Detergent, and it works great. You just take a toothbrush, and some of the liquid, and scrub some detail areas.

Jon

I hear ya 91Gransport! Nothing beats old CrappyTire. They have everything you need for your car.

Cheers :cheers: to Canadian Tire. Its worth the drive for all the Yanks to cross the border and check one out. There is nothing like it in the States. I know, I lived there for a couple o' years. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

i find canadain tire suckes here, we have the biggest one in canada in sault ste marie, i worked there once too, it wasnt great, i find that evry part i get there, is no good, maybe its just me, i get most my parts at atlas auto aprts, but i dont know if there is anymore atlas stores besides here

anyone else form near sault ste marie?

put something over the electrical things under the hood before you do it, because i sprayed engine degreaser on my engine and when iwashed it off i got everything wet....took quite a while to get it dried out so it would run....

Simple Green.. Spray it down, let it set for about 10-15 minutes, rinse it off. Worked great for mine, and it was caked with all sorts of dirt and grime before.

• 2 weeks later...

Use some of that cheap POWER CLEAN or or Castrol industrial strength cleaner/degreaser. You can get both at auto-zone for like 5 bucks a gallon. It works very well for baked on grease. It dissolves oil on contact. I use it on all of my motors top and bottom. I found out about this stuff using it on my cross-lace wheels on my GP. I never had to scrub them again. I tried it on my motor, and never touched it with a brush or rag. Both of those came clean without scrubbing. If you think you got the wrong stuff, Look at the color of the fluid. It should be purple. :) :)

I use shopping bags to cover the alternator and fuseboxes then cover the sucker with simple green (after the engine cools and you can touch the manifold without buring your hand off - no sense cracking the block :D ) After it sits a few minutes I spray it all off and go over all the hoses/wires/and anithing else plastic with Armor-all. Looks great afterwards and doesnt take too much time to do 8)

Also simple green works great for cleaning bug guts off windshields, muck on your paint, wheels/tires, carpets/upolstery, and stained clothing! :D

Use some of that cheap POWER CLEAN or or Castrol industrial strength cleaner/degreaser. You can get both at auto-zone for like 5 bucks a gallon. It works very well for baked on grease. It dissolves oil on contact. I use it on all of my motors top and bottom. I found out about this stuff using it on my cross-lace wheels on my GP. I never had to scrub them again. I tried it on my motor, and never touched it with a brush or rag. Both of those came clean without scrubbing. If you think you got the wrong stuff, Look at the color of the fluid. It should be purple. :) :)

ditto, a guy on the volvo forums I visit steered me to the Castrol Super Clean purple stuff and I'll never use anything else(unless they stop making it of course).....my volvo had about 200,000 miles worth of oil, dirt, grime, etc caked on and that stuff took it off like it was nothing.

I use shopping bags to cover the alternator and fuseboxes then cover the sucker with simple green (after the engine cools and you can touch the manifold without buring your hand off - no sense cracking the block :D ) After it sits a few minutes I spray it all off and go over all the hoses/wires/and anithing else plastic with Armor-all. Looks great afterwards and doesnt take too much time to do 8)

Also simple green works great for cleaning bug guts off windshields, muck on your paint, wheels/tires, carpets/upolstery, and stained clothing! :D

sure sounds like an add for the product. :) :)

i will have to both simple green adn the castrol stuff a look next time i see them. then decided on one and go with it.

Monty