GTP vs. Comp G

jeremy

I have been looking at newer cars lately and I am still considering trying to find another with the 3800SC in it. Are there any differences between a standard GTP and the Comp G performance wise?

Thanks

Comp G's get a "better" suspension (they both still suck if you ask me), and a slightly more agressive/"better" wheel/tire combo (see "suck" comment above though :rolleyes:).

Powertrain-wise, they have 3.29 gears (vs 2.93), Tap-Shift (which gives you a little more manual control of the gears) and the top speed governor is 142-143mph (vs 126-128mph for a GTP).

Basically, they have a little more competant handling, and on a decently prepped strip, have the *POTENTIAL* to launch harder and cut better 1/8th times.............can't hold 2nd through the 1/4 traps though (2nd gear rev limit on a GTP is 96ish mph vs 88ish mph for a Comp G IIRC), so a regular GTP *might* be able to catch back up on the top end (due to not HAVING to shift to 3rd).

Also, be aware that when Car and Driver tested a Comp G, they couldn't actually REACH the top speed governor, because they got a "Oil Temp High" message in the DIC and the PCM said "fuck this, I'm stopping the fun RIGHT now" at only 138mph :lol:.

*I think* Comp G's got a different FDR, and they got the Tap Shift.

You're going to have trouble finding a post-2004 Comp G. They only made them until February of '05. I have an '04 Brochure around here if you want me to find it. If you are looking at getting the car for a warranty then I don't think they started that till '07? They hardly made alot of GTP's in the 3rd gens.

You're going to have trouble finding a post-2004 Comp G. They only made them until February of '05. I have an '04 Brochure around here if you want me to find it. If you are looking at getting the car for a warranty then I don't think they started that till '07? They hardly made alot of GTP's in the 3rd gens.

I've found an '05 with 31k on it...powertrain warranty goes until 2010 or 100k....you are right though, finding post-gen GTP is pretty tough...

Comp G's get a "better" suspension (they both still suck if you ask me), and a slightly more agressive/"better" wheel/tire combo (see "suck" comment above though :rolleyes:).

Powertrain-wise, they have 3.29 gears (vs 2.93), Tap-Shift (which gives you a little more manual control of the gears) and the top speed governor is 142-143mph (vs 126-128mph for a GTP).

Basically, they have a little more competant handling, and on a decently prepped strip, have the *POTENTIAL* to launch harder and cut better 1/8th times.............can't hold 2nd through the 1/4 traps though (2nd gear rev limit on a GTP is 96ish mph vs 88ish mph for a Comp G IIRC), so a regular GTP *might* be able to catch back up on the top end (due to not HAVING to shift to 3rd).

Also, be aware that when Car and Driver tested a Comp G, they couldn't actually REACH the top speed governor, because they got a "Oil Temp High" message in the DIC and the PCM said "fuck this, I'm stopping the fun RIGHT now" at only 138mph :lol:.

I remember that article. I think they called it "wimpy." :lol:

I just got back from driving the Comp G. It is a damn nice car. Pretty peppy for what it is.

DO EEET!

I am actually leaning towards it over the GXP. The one thing that i wished it had that the GXP does is the drilled brake setup.

I just got back from driving the Comp G. It is a damn nice car. Pretty peppy for what it is.

DO EEET!

I am actually leaning towards it over the GXP. The one thing that i wished it had that the GXP does is the drilled brake setup.

That can be added.

well so much for that..had a deal done up and agreed upon yesterday, dealer can't seem to figure out how complete simple paperwork (application of title/odometer statement/etc) for the lender...and they said that they wouldn't release the vehicle to me until Friday or so because they were trying to sort out the filing of the paperwork with my bank....I told them to fuck off I wasn't waiting until Friday because of them when I had certified funds for the car, took back the cashier's check I had given them from my bank and left......the search continues

here was the only pic of the car that I had snapped with my cell...it was a damn nice car, too bad the guy turned out to be a cock-gobbler....I've already got something else in the works :evil:

b095fe38.jpg

Dude I woulda waited out for that one!!!!

the dude was a moron...told me Monday that I could pick it up last night, then I find out that he couldn't figure out simple paperwork that is needed on any sale, lied to me about when the paperwork was sent, didn't return my phone calls yesterday afternoon, and when I showed up at the dealership at the time we agreed Monday for me to pick up the car, I found out he took off to the Tigers game without even telling me that the vehicle wouldn't be released.....way too many cars available to let someone screw around with me like that, especially when I gave him certified funds for the car...

I went home, found something I like more anyway, made a couple calls, kid sister is test driving it today, and if all goes well I should be wrapping it up today via fax/phone with pickup on the weekend.

Nice. Try to get an '05. They have some more options the '04's never got.

EDIT: If I wanted the car bad enough I would've dealt with the bs. Although that isn't how you conduct business at all.

Nice. Try to get an '05. They have some more options the '04's never got.

EDIT: If I wanted the car bad enough I would've dealt with the bs. Although that isn't how you conduct business at all.

that one was an '05 Comp G (everything except XM/Navigation) ....and I didn't want/need the car that bad ;)

• 2 weeks later...

get anything?

I had everything lined up for a Charcoal '05 GXP with 45k onit, completely loaded, even had indash navigation....had my sister test drive it because it was only 20mins from her (2.5-3.0hrs from me)....negotiated a deal over the phone with the dealer, and the night before I was going to go sign everything and pick it up (last Friday night) I got cold feet about taking on another car note...so I called the dealer back explained it to him and never bought it.....I actually still have the certified check from my bank sitting on my desk still. At this point, I don't know what I am going to do, I think I might hold off a few more months.