wire life

kiwi133

So my DOHC has 72100 miles on it, with the orrigional wires. All runs well but I was just wondering how long they are supposed to last (what does GM say) and how long you guys had wires on before they needed changing.

I asked that question a few months back and was told to replace them. I've still got my originals at 240 000 kms. I still haven't gotten around to it. :oops: Apparently I'm going to notice quite a performance increase when I do.

Kiwi133 - I think you should replace them at around 30,000km or once every two years.

Mdelorie - Dude, I think it's time to change your wires if they're still original!

I would seriously find the money to replace your wires, if you don't you're running i high risk of damaging the coils/ICM.

I replace mine every 1-2 yrs(depending if i kill'em changing plugs) and my plugs like 6 months to a year, especially if you cheap out. Wires depending on your motor should be between $50-100 CAD.

I just bought my GP a month ago, but I have changed the wires (and a lot more) I don't think the previous owners took care of the engine in my car well, based on the way it runs with only 110,800 miles on it. I do think my wires were original, and they were AC Delco wires so they very well could have been.

My personal rule of thumb is this: If it's a part that will need to be changed again, and I'm going to keep the car for awhile, spend the money for lifetime warrenty. Usually it's not a lot more, and the first time I get a free replacement I will have spent the little extra wisely.

My wires are lifetime warrenty and I paid $19.99 for them. I know there are problems with W body breaks wearing out fast also, so I got lifetime on my pads, rotors, and calipers for the front and rear. Breaks are just too expensive to pay for when they offer lifetime. Besides, my parts never break when I have the money to fix them, the warrenty ensures I won't have to worry about it.