What Do I need?

3.1cutlass

Upper strut bearing plates. Upper strut jonce (SP) bumpers, W-Body strut removal tool (yes there is a specific one for our W-Bodys).

Upper strut bearing plates. Upper strut jonce (SP) bumpers, W-Body strut removal tool (yes there is a specific one for our W-Bodys).

I will not be doing the work. A shop will do the struts and install my front lowering springs while they are at it.

We don't have upper bearing plates. Only lowers.

There's a couple of parts you want to replace, unfortunately they're called all sorts of things so I hope this doesn't get confusing.

Strut mounts - rubber/metal cylinder that the top of the strut bolts to, immediately under the strut plate in the engine bay. I went with new GM since they were the cheapest (from GMPD: 88946262 $13.59/ea +shipping)

Strut bearing plate/lower spring seat - metal piece that sits under the rubber spring isolator on the bottom. Allows the springs to keep from turning when the knuckles turn the wheels.

jounce bumper - yellow rubber/styrofoamish thingy on the strut shaft under the mount. I've never replaced mine, they looked fine. KYB boots have this built in, and can cause problems with lowering (have to cut the bumper inside the boot). If you're getting new boots, go GM.

upper spring seat - I forget what else to call this. it's the part that actually bolts to the body (the 3 studs that come through the engine bay). I guess they go bad *shrug* I replaced them on the STE.

upper/lower spring isolators - probably should've replaced these but all this shit adds up and I skipped out on those. The uppers probably won't be bad, the lowers are probably beat. they're rubber. Do the lowers anyway.

I have part numbers/etc for everything but the isolators, I can look them up tomorrow when I'm home.

Just a question, why arent you doing it?? You dont have to have air tools.. hand tools are quite sufficient..

Mostly because i do not want to pull the front springs to replace them.

Just a question, why arent you doing it?? You dont have to have air tools.. hand tools are quite sufficient..

Oh, I got ya.. AutoZone's rent a tool compressor makes it a cake walk though, or are you just uneasy about using a strut spring compressor??

Oh, I got ya.. AutoZone's rent a tool compressor makes it a cake walk though, or are you just uneasy about using a strut spring compressor??

Yes sir. I have done springs on my jeep and it sucked and i will never do it again.

you dont need a compressor if putting in lowering springs. be careful when removing the old ones, but the new ones are short enough where you can have a buddy just put a little weight on the upper spring mount while you bolt the strut in.