My hoodliner logo

GPX

This is my latest project. It evolved as it went. As I was trying to clean up my engine compartment, I realized that the hoodliner was in pretty good shape, but had a lot of dirty stains. I took it off and sprayed it with some undercoating--bad idea. Plus, I realised that the undercoating would probably grab and hold dirt, so that really defeats the purpose of spraying it. Now it needs to be painted. I had been looking at threads where folks had made customized decklid liners, and I thought "hey..." So this is what I came up with:UnderHoodStraightOn.jpg It's done with Dupli-Color red engine paint, chrome Testors paint, and Rustoleum flat black for the backgroundUnderHoodCloseUp.jpgYes, it really looks like it's floating against that flat black background.

Here's what I learned doing this:

-- Lightly brush the liner before applying any paint.

-- The liner is very absorbant but will take paint well IF you prime it liberally--expect 4 or 5 coats.

-- Prime it beyond where you expect to paint.

-- Like silkscreen on cloth, you'll need a lot of paint to get good coverage.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow thats pretty cool. I wouldnt have imagined that paint would stick to that stuff.

The trick is to use enough primer. I think 4 coats in the logo area.