Bolts....can OE be reused..?

Jon89le

Guest TurboSedan

i did. it's not crucial like head bolts or anything. if you do buy new ones make sure you get the right ones. '91+ have rubber sleeves that surround the bolts (bolts are smaller too), and the plenum bolt holes are bigger because of the rubber sleeve. previous years have smaller bolt holes and the bolts are bigger but no sleeves. i hope this makes sense! btw, this is for the 3.1...

joshua

The only bolts you can't reuse are head bolts.

Actually, the service manual says you can reuse them, but nobody in their right mind takes risks on head bolts (stretch bolts).

i reused the head bolts...but I tapped all the holes and cleaned the bolts up ahead of time.

You haven't had any problems with it?

The reason you aren't supposed to reuse head bolts is because they're "stretch to yield". The bolts actually stretch out of their original shape. I suppose the bolts could be designed that they could be stretched a bit more and not lose strength, GM seems to think so anyway, but I've never heard of anyone actually reusing them (till now).

ford is the only one that use torque to yeild bolts.... and even those can be re-used, it just takes a digital torque wrenchthat can do % of strech....

I youst to work @ gofer state engine rebuilding in the twin citys (MN) and thats exactly what they do..... gm never did that to my knolage. if you re-use then you ust need to torque them down in smaller increments, thats all......

and gofer engins only had 6 combacks last year that they rebuit.....

The 2.8/3.1 uses stretch bolts. Any bolts that are torque to a certain spec, then turn so many degrees are torque to yield, and they are.

The service manual recommends using a torque angle meter, but I just eye-balled it.

• 2 weeks later...