Hub and Bearing Play

mdelorie

Last year I rebuilt almost my entire rear suspension, from the subframe/crossmember down. While I was at it, I replaced both rear hub and bearing assemblies. Now, less than a year and 10 000 kms later, the rear right bearing has about 3mm of play in it, and it's making a strange noise at highway speeds (more a bump/clunk than a roar). It also causes the steering to feel somewhat dangerous at highway speeds (like the wheel is going to fall off). Has anyone seen this before? I have the assembly out and the play is definitely apparent. The other side shows no signs of being loose. I can't recall driving over anything particularly worrisome. I suppose I just got a bad bearing?

What kinda hub assembly did you buy. If you bought anything other than Timken you got a crappy quality bearing. The only other place to get a good hub assembly for your car is GM and it is made by Timken :wink:

Other brands can fail for no reason prematurely, the better Timken is way less likely to happen, but of course, with anything, its still possible to fail prematurely

What kinda hub assembly did you buy. If you bought anything other than Timken you got a crappy quality bearing. The only other place to get a good hub assembly for your car is GM and it is made by Timken :wink:

Other brands can fail for no reason prematurely, the better Timken is way less likely to happen, but of course, with anything, its still possible to fail prematurely

I had a timken fail in less than 200 miles. Im just lucky it didnt fall completely off. With that said, I just bought 2 new timken units. I hope i dont get screwed on these ones