Engine Swap in 96 CS, tossing up ideas on what engine to go with!!!

BXX

Well, basically, I love my 3100, but its not gonna get me outta the low 16's anytime soon. It sounds great, especially with my intake and exhaust combo, but its still a 3100 in a CS. Stock.

I dont want an engine under the hood that could come there stock. So no 3100, end of discussion.

There are a few ideas I am tossing in the air, L36, L67, LX5 for example. Heres a lowdown. There is a local pull a part about 15 minutes from me. I have been up there the last 3 days off outta 4 I have had.

Engine cost, 6 cylinder - $140.56

Auto Transmission w/ converter - $51.86

Wiring Harness - $11.48

PCM - $26.49

Thats the kinda pricing I am looking at... ANY 6 cylinder engine is $140.56 whether its from a Mercedes or a busted Regal.

There are plenty of L36's complete, several L67's minus the blower, and I found 2 Intrigues. 1 I do believe had an engine fire, the other looked complete.

Another option I have looked at believe it or not is a absolutely untouched 2.2L Ecotec from a 01 Saturn LS1. :lol:

Like I said, the 3100 is not an option. Nothing wrong with the engine, but when ya pop your hood an viola, its a 3100... big deal.

I want to be able to actually mod the engine a bit, and it has to take serious abuse!!!!!! It MUST be able to handle CONSTANT ABUSE!!! i repeated :lol: I do, however, take great care of my engine and trans, like 1000 mile oil changes since I abuse it hard and dont have to pay for an oil change. I also always do preventative maintenance. So take that into account.

I do not want this to turn into the L67 pwns all thread. We have had plenty of those.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BXX

• slick

• Euro

• MonteCarloDude

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you know Bob that price on the motors is for short blocks only iirc but you might want to make sure before you go pricing everything.

LX5 barely fits into a 2nd gen. You'd have one helluva time shoehorning it into a 1st gen.

If your interest, I know of a 3400 for sale locally. High miles, but has great compression. Comes with the trans (although you won't need it), and all accessories. $300 takes it.

Just so you know Bob that price on the motors is for short blocks only iirc but you might want to make sure before you go pricing everything.

a short block runs about $85 (block and heads)

Im gonna ask them what all the 6 cylinder engine price includes, im pretty sure its from oil pan to intake and possible accessories. Either way, the accessories wont add but about $100

LX5 barely fits into a 2nd gen. You'd have one helluva time shoehorning it into a 1st gen.

If your interest, I know of a 3400 for sale locally. High miles, but has great compression. Comes with the trans (although you won't need it), and all accessories. $300 takes it.

If he is willing to do $200 minus the trans, I might be interested even though the 3400 is damn near a 3100.. I really want to be very different with the engine swap. Yes, I know a L67 isnt very different, but what I mean is something you dont see too often and is completely different than the 3100...

Im kinda leaning towards the 3800 due to reliability, ease of working on, and plenty of aftermarket and not hard to make powerful.

If he is willing to do $200 minus the trans, I might be interested even though the 3400 is damn near a 3100.. I really want to be very different with the engine swap.

I'll ask him when I see him next.

Why would he swap in a 3400 when he says he doesn't want a 3100. They're the same damn thing, with a few more horsies. Plus no aftermarket. Turbo 3800

Why would he swap in a 3400 when he says he doesn't want a 3100. They're the same damn thing, with a few more horsies. Plus no aftermarket. Turbo 3800

Thank you... The only reason I would take that 3400 for $200 that was talked about because he said it came with all accessories, but I dont really think that is the route I wanna go just yet..

LT1, LS1, lets be realistic guys. If I wanted a RWD V8, I would buy another F-body. Except, every toothless hillbilly to mr yuppie man who also drives benz has one.

3900, no. Why, cause it costs as much as my car. There are no 3900 engines at the pull a part in Cleveland where stuff is cheap. This is a budget performer, nothing more.

This is my only car, and I can only have it down for about a week maybe 2. I can walk the .8 miles to work everyday, but I go down to Mansfield quite a bit for family and friends, so thats why it has to a 2 week swap. Not a 6 month custom RWD conversion.

Remember kids, the 3800 is one of Ward's 10 Best Engines of the 20th Century which means it pwns all other engines.

That was uneccessary, keep your sarcastic comments outta this thread please. This is not a joke or whatever thread, this is serious. :wink:

So far, options are in order of preference

-L67

-L36

-LX5

-Possible Ecotec

I say 3400.

A proper CAI along with a UDP and a decent/good exhaust and you have a consistant mid 15 second W-Car.............nothing special.

BUT.......

A 3400 with some 3500 hybridization of the top end, a good cam and some tuning WILL dump you into the 14's NA, and turbo 3400 cars have been PROVEN to be worth over 300whp (in other words, plenty more than a 4T60-E will take).

I say a 3400, transfer over your current mods (and/or a few others) to tide you over, and then work up a nice turbo setup.

Either way, *I* would not hesitate to do a 3400..........hell, my old room-mate had his little Beretta running low 15's with a CAI/UDP/Exhaust combo while being stuck with a stock 3100 tune, even WORSE 3100 shiftpoints (at least initially) and the doghsit L-Body torque convertor.

I'm pretty sure a properly modded/tuned W-Car can match that (since W's have slightly deeper gears and a WAY more agressive convertor) :wink:

BTW...........a 5 speed swap on your little 3100 would cut 1/2 a second off right by itself............maybe THAT is worth a look (although they are a HEADACHE).

You show me that? Other than headers, the most expensive "mod" in that list are ARP head studs :bonk:

Turbo a 3800. Instant 12's, 400hp

Actually...........a turbo 3800 will equal the same thing as a turbo 3400 (at 6psi or more in either case).............a blown 4T60-E :wink:

And a 3400 is SO much of an easier swap, and realistically, there is NOT very much a of a performance difference stock vs stock (less than the difference between a 3100 and 3400 at least).

You show me that? Other than headers, the most expensive "mod" in that list are ARP head studs :bonk:

http://wot-tech.com/shop/3400/2000-heads-and-manifolds/street/strip-ported-3400-heads/prod_112.html

ya that looks real cheap..... :lol:

Actually...........a turbo 3800 will equal the same thing as a turbo 3400 (at 6psi or more in either case).............a blown 4T60-E :wink:

And a 3400 is SO much of an easier swap, and realistically, there is NOT very much a of a performance difference stock vs stock (less than the difference between a 3100 and 3400 at least).

thank you. :high5: thats what i was geting at. :lol: