Any added a turbo blowoff valve?

shadow

to the guys that have bov's...are you guys doing anything to filter the air that is drawn in through the bov when your idling??

intern8tion9l--you dont have anything for filtering that air at idle...does you bov close at idle??

The BOV is always closed until you close the throttle after being under boost, at that point is when it opens and releases the excess pressure. There is no need for filtration, since it only releases excess air from the system. It does not draw in outside air.

The BOV is always closed until you close the throttle after being under boost, at that point is when it opens and releases the excess pressure. There is no need for filtration, since it only releases excess air from the system. It does not draw in outside air.

yes i know how a bov works

but if you take your boost/vacuum source from the manifold there will be vacuum on the valve (opening force) at idle...its just not enough vacuum to keep it open or what?

Thats where shimming the spring inside the BOV comes into play. Shim the spring until the BOV doesnt leak under normal idling and accelerating.

Thats how it is on my TurboXS type H RFL BOV anyways.

I'd really like a HKS ssqi BOV.

turbo + k&n = hella loud spool

psych0matt- i really have no way of determining how well that wrap on the IC pipes is working, all i know is that the upper pipe gets SUPER hot being that close to everything.....you may be right in that the foil stuff might be better though

The pipe is right over the turbocharger, so it gets HOT. The ones on my cars get pretty warm driving normal. If you're driving the car hard, the exterior heats up quick with all that heat rising up from the turbo. If I think about it, I'll measure the temperature of the pipe one day after driving my car(s).

Air doesn't enter through the BOV while idling. The valve is closed...correct? I have yet to install my BOV, but that was my understanding?

they stay open during idle. not all of them. my turbo xs stays closed, but the dsm opens during idle and I have been meaning to get a filter cone for it but it does not draw in a lot of air during idle anyway but still some foriegn object could fall in there by accident so might as well get a pantyhose screen at least to make sure.

Air doesn't enter through the BOV while idling. The valve is closed...correct? I have yet to install my BOV, but that was my understanding?

they stay open during idle. not all of them. my turbo xs stays closed, but the dsm opens during idle and I have been meaning to get a filter cone for it but it does not draw in a lot of air during idle anyway but still some foriegn object could fall in there by accident so might as well get a pantyhose screen at least to make sure.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

..the dsm opens during idle..

This is news to me! Are you sure about that? Its spring loaded and not supposed to open until the pressure reaches ~14 PSI..

its weird how it floats around when you mess with the throttle and you have the bov up top and you can see down the tube then you goose it and the valve shuts quick and builds a little boost and whoosh a blast of air blows your hair back. then it floats around some more. yea, the dsm ones are cool. highly recommended.

I wish I had a way to easily post vids. :neutral:

Thats where shimming the spring inside the BOV comes into play. Shim the spring until the BOV doesnt leak under normal idling and accelerating.

Thats how it is on my TurboXS type H RFL BOV anyways.

I'd really like a HKS ssqi BOV.

yeah the hks is sweet...and pricey...but its a cool design (the way it functions) and it sounds cool IMO!

I have a brand spanking new 1G DSM BOV that i bought with a flange from someone on here...what a deal did i get!!

anyway i brought up the filtration issue becuase i was pretty sure that they (and many other bov's) opened slightly at idle...the dsm guys always yell at newbies for doing atmo venting because those cars run MAF and when they dont recirculate that air those cars dont idle well but they nearly stall in between shifts too! thats one cool thing about the TGP speed density tuning from the factory none of that mass air flow crap!!

so bov vents loud and proud with no adverse effects!! take that DSMs!!

• 3 weeks later...

its just air bing sucked in the turbo i would say, when the turbo is spooling it makes noiticeable noise

X2, I agree

my TSTE had a BOV on it. I have a pic

the previous owner had it on there when I bought it. I LOVE to blow off!!!! wuuups that didn't sound right. :lol:

101_0307.jpg

• 1 month later...

its just air bing sucked in the turbo i would say, when the turbo is spooling it makes noiticeable noise

X2, I agree

the previous owner had it on there when I bought it. I LOVE to blow off!!!! wuuups that didn't sound right.  :lol:

101_0307.jpg

cool to read about blow off valve its new for me turbo engine and do you see you have an oil leak from your valve cover? :rolleyes:

X2, I agree

the previous owner had it on there when I bought it. I LOVE to blow off!!!! wuuups that didn't sound right.  :lol:

101_0307.jpg

cool  to  read  about  blow  off  valve  its  new  for  me  turbo  engine and do  you see  you  have  an  oil  leak  from  your  valve  cover? :rolleyes:

no the valve cover doesn't/didn't leak it was the top where that breather hose that came out. it leaked oil out under heavy acceleration.

GOD I MISS MY TSTE!!! :bawling1: