window regulator

meltboy1

Wasn't sure what section to put this under, so I just put in general...

So today I am drivin, and I put the window down and I forgot about how the drivers side window likes to stick in the down position sometimes. Well needless to say I ended up burnin out the motor. I get everything apart, get the regulator and motor out and there is a spring thats on there that fell off... now I really don't wanna take off the other panel and regulator to see how it all goes together, so does anyone by chance have a pic or knows what position this spring is supposed to go back in there?.. Right now it is temporarilly put back together til I get a new motor tomorrow, I just wanted to be able to get the window back up.

It seems as if this spring could go on any which way, but what I believe the spring does is help the motor push the window up so that the whole weight of the window isn't on the motor, am I correct with that assumption?

yeah. are you getting a new or j/y one? from a j/y, you should get the motor with the arm and all attached.

when you reinstall it, use nuts and bolts. i use 5/16th inch bolts with nylocking nuts. you have to ream the hole with a 5/16th inch bit too.

I know how to put it all back in, it's the positioning of the spring in there that I am worried about, I suppose I could just get a whole unit from the yard, but I kinda rather would get a new motor so I know I won't have to worry about it for a while...

I looked in the service manual and it doesn't show that part in detail. I forget which way the spring goes, but believe it will work either way. I keep thinking that there is a *right* way to put it in though and that the spring will be wedged in there tighter when it's right.

ya, I was thinkin about it today and I think what I am gona do tomorrow is when I take it all out again, just play around with the different ways and see which of them has tension to put the window back up, I should be able to figure it out that way

mine does that to gets stuck down.. sometimes it takes awile to go back up like it move half an inch every time.. what the cause of that?

The cause of that is the motor getting burnt out and just gettin stuck...

I have some pictures for you. As coincidence would have it, the spring somehow dislodged itself on my 1993 GP and started rattling like crazy. I replaced the window motor on the driver's side a few years ago. The window binded up the other day after going over an insanely bumpy road and then started working again(after I hit the area where the motor resides) I guess that's when the spring started falling off. :rolleyes:

Anyways, this is how I had the spring previously.

IMG_3340.jpg

I reinstalled it like this though:

IMG_3342.jpg

I tried it both ways and either way works, BUT there isn't a lot of tension on the spring with it placed how it's shown in the first picture. That's likely why mine fell off after encountering a really bumpy road. Each placement is the opposite of the other. The lift arm is in the full "up" position in the pictures by the way. I'm not sure what position the spring was in from the factory. As you may have noticed, I have some spot welds on the nuts holding the motor to the lift arm/bracket. The shitty hardware that came with the motor I bought loosened up and the motor eventually started binding sometime back in 2005. The hardware store was closed at the time when I pulled the motor, so I just spot welded them. They aren't backing out anymore. :lol: