!!!!!!Ball-joint broke car got rear-ended README!!!!PICS UP!!! 4/4/08 PG 4!1

5speedz34

I was on my way to school today, and my ball joint broke and I got rear-ended.

Heres the story:

I'm a mile from my house and I felt a sway in the car. I thought, "Hmm, maybe that was my cradle mount." but I really didn't think anything of it. I figured it was the wind, and if it was the cradle mount it would be alot louder! I also thought shit, John drove for a long as time with 1 broken mount. So I drive another mile, go and make a right hand turn and BOOM! The car stops instantly. I look in my rear-view mirror and I get the last minute reaction of a driver behind me and I say "Don't hit me!" Of course she does.

I get out, the door rubs the shit out of the fender. Same sound from fucked up junkyard cars. The tire was a good 45* to the body.

When I put the thing in park I got a loud grinding from the tranny. I stopped as soon as I heard that, put it in neutral then park.

Go make sure the other driver is alright, as soon as I get to the door she goes, "Why did you stop?" I go, "My tire just fell off the car." I call the cops, they show up 20 minutes later. :rolleyes: We we're in the middle of a major intersection. I'm out of the car at this point. I get the pleasure of everyone looking at me like I'm an idiot.

Cop shows up asks me what happened. Talks to the other driver forever and a day. The tow truck shows up. Drops the car off at my house. I guess AAA doesn't cover accidents so that cost us $80.

I get a ticket for "defective equipment" and she gets nothing since the car was dead in front of her. I figure there was about 3 seconds reaction time, since I looked in the rear view mirror.

The cop says I need to get the car fixed in 10 days. I told him that probably isn't going to happen. He was real cool about it (younger guy). He told me to come in during his shift to get it waived, since its a fix-it ticket. He said this works out best for both parties.

I really didn't get a chance to look at the car. As soon as I got home I went to class. I'm definitely going to need an axle and a ball joint. We'll see more once I get in there. The car has almost 200k, but my mom isn't working and we got this car fixed so I could drive it. Since its been running I've been getting nothing but problems though, not to mention its pretty rusty. Ohh and all the B4U is ripped to shit on the drivers side. She crinkled my bumper (at best) and cracked a taillight.

So who knows. Its been a shitty two-weeks and this car sucks.

EDIT: This/was a original ball joint I think. I had been getting a popping sound, but I think thats the cradle mounts. The rack also just got replaced so I was going to check those bolts. The shop that did the rack in Feb., said the ball joints were good and tight.

EDITx2: Pics at the bottom.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• slick

• dohc v6

• jeremy

WOW that sucks!! You aren't hurt at all are you?

No we walked away, she bumped me at like 10-15 mph.

The car basically pitched forward and then stopped. I thought it was the cradle.

I was doing maybe 15-20 mph.

This is why I don't drive the Lumina like ever or daily. I don't like messing with "projects" as a daily. I really don't look forward to fixing this.

I know I have a line a green grand prix. I just hope I can get the body work straight.

So now I'm down to sharing a car again with my mom. :bash:

:rolleyes: Irony.....

Not only has almost exatly what happened to you happen to me twice already, but I was just rear ended in my protege on saturday.

First time was when I was 17 in my 200k 91 GP LE....was going around a turn at 30, there was a dip in the road and the balljoint separated. I must have slid a good 50 fit with the tire off the car before I stopped.

Second time was in my current 96 SE. The car had been making bad popping sounds for a few weeks. I thought it was my axles since the car was L67 swapped and my axles were pieced together incorrectly to fit the car. Well I ignored the sound because well shit if the axle breaks its gunna break and not damage anything else. Well sure enough this time I decided to take a really hard turn at 50 and it let go :eek:. Not only did I scare the shit out of the girl in my car but there was an oncoming car who saw my car slow down with loads of sparks shooting from underneath (rim being dragged sideways). She stopped to check on us and said it was the craziest thing she ever saw.

Ismellbad, I guess I'm lucky this didn't happen at any high speed. I was just about to get on the expressway too!

tony. it might be time to pack up and let her go.

sorry for your luck.

You more than me know about my struggles with this car. Who knows I want to fix it but I don't. I'm going to talk to my parents about it.

The bumper was cracked in the front, but the tire is rubbing on it from the tow company. It was sitting the totally other way from where its at now.

On the side of the bumper are the creases and you can see the crack in the taillight.

God this situation is all too familar. I was lucky that you still have sttering with one when the other lets go. I dont understand how the tailight got cracked.

God this situation is all too familar. I was lucky that you still have sttering with one when the other lets go. I dont understand how the tailight got cracked.

I was rear ended.

I think it was stress? Or the bumper flexed enough?

Shit fucking W-body's :lol:

Glad your okay bro. If you need any help with anything you got my number.

Ya, I'll let you know.

I'm just sick of shitty rusted old-ass W's.

Wait a minute there's something not right...

the other driver should have received a ticket for failure to maintain vehicle. It doesn't matter what happened to your car, fact is she didn't stop in time because she was probably too close or not paying attention.

And AAA should have towed it for free. They don't do "curtousy tows" which means if you were just having it towed to the junkyard for instance, or were too drunk to drive home after having a few and didn't want to leave the car behind. But if you told them you needed it towed home so you could fix it, they cover that. I've had several tows home so I could fix something over the years and on different vehicles too.

Wait a minute there's something not right...

the other driver should have received a ticket for failure to maintain vehicle. It doesn't matter what happened to your car, fact is she didn't stop in time because she was probably too close or not paying attention.

And AAA should have towed it for free. They don't do "curtousy tows" which means if you were just having it towed to the junkyard for instance, or were too drunk to drive home after having a few and didn't want to leave the car behind. But if you told them you needed it towed home so you could fix it, they cover that. I've had several tows home so I could fix something over the years and on different vehicles too.

The cop was going to give her a ticket but, since the car was dead in front of her she kinda didn't have a choice. He acknowledged it was a gray area. This works best for both parties. He was real cool about it.

The tow-company came and the car was on in the middle of the road. I had no choice, my dad paid the bill. I didn't have time to call and fuck around with AAA.

whoa! this makes me want to replace my balljoints now, which i already know i need to do.

sucks dude. and i agree with ken. i think at this point i would have to let her go.

he just dropped an assload into it, and he doesn't have a job so he can't afford more.

Looks like it's time to get a full time job bro and save for something newer

he just dropped an assload into it, and he doesn't have a job so he can't afford more.

or sell the Z....

First, I didn't drop the money into it my parents did. I need to talk to my parents but I don't think I'll be the one dropping money into this time.

Second, its cheaper to fix it than to buy a new car. We'll see what my parents say though.

I can't get a full-time job taking 5 classes at a time. I really need to get this pharmacy certification. I have a feeling I'm going to be fucked for a long time......

or sell the Z....

I've considered it, but in the state its in I would take a loss.

Although I basically had a buyer lined up. I did consider selling EVERYTHING and moving on to something better. There was a time when I used the think these cars where all that mattered but who knows now.

Although I basically had a buyer lined up. I did consider selling EVERYTHING and moving on to something better. There was a time when I used the think these cars where all that mattered but who knows now.

yeah, it would suck to have to sell it as it sits right now because you would take a huge hit on it....but at least you are smart enough to realize that it is at least something to consider....best of luck to you getting this one back up and running again....

yeah, it would suck to have to sell it as it sits right now because you would take a huge hit on it....but at least you are smart enough to realize that it is at least something to consider....best of luck to you getting this one back up and running again....

Thanks, I mean I have to face it. Is this ever going to happen? I wish it could but this is not a 69 Yenko Camaro. I've faced the facts the W's aren't the end all be all I thought they once where.

IMO, take the loss and move on. Definately not worth your trouble and time, and you could use the money anyways.

Well, heres the thing. I'm not paying shit on this car. My parents are paying for it all. I'm not totally sure. I guess I need to see what they think I should do. You know, they bought the car for my sister. So who cares? Its cheaper than getting something new.

I don't know if I'll be getting the money or what... who knows?

Damn man, sorry to hear that. The exact same thing happened with my '89 after the wheel popped off at 60mph on 675. The balljoint was broken, and when I went around a turn, it popped out and I just STOPPED.

If you're sick of the car, I'll most definitely come up and fix it and drive it out of your misery. :lol: I know what that's like though. :bash:

If you're sick of the car, I'll most definitely come up and fix it and drive it out of your misery. :lol: I know what that's like though. :bash:

What do you mean?

First, I didn't drop the money into it my parents did. I need to talk to my parents but I don't think I'll be the one dropping money into this time.

Second, its cheaper to fix it than to buy a new car. We'll see what my parents say though.

I can't get a full-time job taking 5 classes at a time. I really need to get this pharmacy certification. I have a feeling I'm going to be fucked for a long time......

you could work at least 30 hours, i did