about the monoleaf...

EviLette

the only way to say that one is better than the other is to test them on the track/street and say for sure which performs better under stress of hard cornering, and which can take more g's

Yup.

The problem is, many on this site want to blab on about how much superior coilovers are to a monoleaf suspension even though the main issues with monoleafs can be addressed and monoleafs in fact have distinct advantages over coilovers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 93CutlassSupreme

• EviLette

• jeremy

• CSI_MuNkY

In addition to handling, how well can an aftermarket spring hold up to load? When I have 4- 5 people in my car, I'm constantly rubbing my tires in the fenderwell over bumps. It forced me to go buy the leaf spring helpers from moog. Problem solved, but now my car is like an inch higher and the rear does not give for anything whatsoever. I'm not so sure with the drop of a monoleaf if it could handle weight as well. The thing did look like half the size of a stick one.

That's one thing I liked about the FAF leaf. Its lowered, but its also stiffer. The spring itself has less of an arc as the stock spring does, but it also doesn't give out as easily under weight. Not sure if you can get the same combination with coilovers, unless you can get thicker coils with a higher load rating that are the same size. I wouldn't know, since I've never personally worked with aftermarket coilovers.

The tires I have in the back are 235/60/15's, with 3/8" spacers on the rims just to give it a more aggressive stance, and with two 180lb people in the back of my car, plus the 12" sub and 3 amps on a piece of plywood, I don't rub on the fenderwells.

This is why the correct spring rate is very important on coilovers. If you have to weak of a spring this will happen. Most people run 250-300lbs in the back which are great. Ive had 4 people in the car and it sits no different than it does with people in the car.

Everyone here seems to be on the "coilovers rule" bandwagon, and while a FAF leaf has been acknowledged as an alternative, I don't find anyone here who has used one save for one person; myself!

Third, I have a flex-a-form leaf, with about 2 years of driving on it, although it only sees summer driving.

I have one, and I love it.

This is why the correct spring rate is very important on coilovers. If you have to weak of a spring this will happen. Most people run 250-300lbs in the back which are great. Ive had 4 people in the car and it sits no different than it does with people in the car.

x2

I have 300lb springs in the rear and 350lb springs in the front, I've never noticed a difference in ride height by filling my car with people.

A HUGE thing that swayed me to coil overs was the adjustibility. I drive my car in the winter months and wanted to be sure I would have the ground clearance, and clearance in the wheel wells for snow and slush build up. Without having to swap out the leaf spring every 6 months.

In all honesty, Matts TGP has a birtchmount and I would put the coil overs/sway bar about dead even with that, so it will be interesting to see how the TGP feels now with the addition of the 7/8" sway bar. I'm also going to be getting slightly wider tires and the car will be sitting about 1" lower this year than it did last year.

Jamie

If only I knew wtf FE1/FE3 is.

Sorry, not ignorant, just not as knowledgeable as a lot of you.

That's why I'm here.

I would assume that's the name for the stock suspension systems.. and the numbers after the FE denominating for the different generations?

FE1 and FE3 are different levels of suspension. FE3 being the best suspension that was available stock in our cars. I'm not entirely sure of all the differences, maybe someone else has those stats.

Jamie