P0131 and P0135

ikessky

Had AutoZone scan the car and these are the codes that come up. They both relate to the O2 sensor. I just replaced the original with a Bosch unit when I did the head gaskets and now the codes start showing up. Could I have gotten a faulty O2 sensor or could I possibly have contaminated the new one due to the PB Blaster that was still on the manifold? :confused:

Have the codes erased and then see if it comes back on.... It's possible that they got contaminated and will need to be replaced. Most memebers will never recommend a Bosch O2 and that you should go with an ACDelco from the dealer... I have not had any problems outta mine that I have used, and I have sold autoparts long enough to see that they dont have the issues memebers report....

what car, what engine? I just replaced on O2 sensor on a friends 97 3.8 bonneville that had a P0135 code for the heating circuit failure on bank 1 sensor 1, which on that car is the first sensor in line, right on the rear downpipe/manifold.

It is possible it was contaminated after the first burn in with the gaskets and the coolant burning off I suppose. Best way is to just take it back, Bosch O2's suck anyways, go with Sorensen or AcDelco, anything but Bosch.

It's a 2001 Buick Century with a 3100.

I'm going to borrow a scanner from a guy at work and erase the codes. We'll see what happens after that. The codes will not erase by disconnecting the battery cables or pulling ECM fuses.

once you change the sensor it will take quite a few full cycles for the code to go away on it's own, but if you changed it and then didn't erase the codes it's possible its still there and not actually a problem. Get it erased and check into it if the light comes back on.

just inspect the wiring to make sure you aren't having issues with that.. also make sure that the wires are not in contact with the spark plug wires at any time as well.

Sounds like it may be both sensors?? I'm not familiar with the codes but someone here may be able to help.

P0135 - The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the heater circuit for oxygen sensor 1 in bank 1.

Probable Causes:

1.-Oxygen sensor defective

2.-Poor connection at oxygen sensor

3.-Check circuit fuse

P0131 - The PCM has determined that the input voltage from oxygen sensor 1 in bank 1 is too low for current operating conditions.

Probably Causes:

1.-Oxygen sensor defective

2.-Fuel system running lean-check other codes first

3.-Engine vacuum leak or misfire-repair

4.-Low fuel pressure-fuel pump defective

I'm pretty sure it is the O2 sensor as that is the only sensor that was changed and that is what the codes seem to be pointing to.

This could be related to a intake manifold gasket leak or other type of gasket failure as well, but still get that sensor replaced and see if it solves the issue.

I feel pretty confident that the new O2 sensor will take care of this. If not, well then I guess I'll have to start checking some other things. The O2 sensor should arrive early next week and I'll go from there.

On a different note, the gears in my garage door open stripped out and my vehicles have had to sit outside for a week now. :mad: It was -20 degrees this morning.

Depending on wether or not you cleared the codes after you first replaced it, I'd bang a new one in there...an AC Delco....they are about the same price anyways.

I put the new AC sensor in, sprayed the MAF off with electronics cleaner, and then cleared the codes. After that I drove around for 30 minutes, stopped the car and restarted, drove some more, etc. I got back home and plugged the scanner in and the codes haven't reappeared. I guess I'm feeling pretty good right now and hope that this is it for a while. I still have to change the fuel filter and I noticed that the PCV valve I currently have is really noisy. I guess I'll change that also.