Can Advance Auto scan OBD 1.5?

jmoore4294

No, only GM will be able to read it for you, or so I'm told. You could always do an OBD 2 swap, someone may be able to post a link to where you can find all the information you need to do that.

Jamie

Yeah, I'm going based on what I found in Canada, the only place I was able to find to scan it was the GM dealer, and even then the first dealer said they didn't have the proper equipment to scan the 1.5 cars. Some of the shops I called even tried to tell me that there is no such thing as OBD 1.5

Jamie

Yeah, I'm going based on what I found in Canada, the only place I was able to find to scan it was the GM dealer, and even then the first dealer said they didn't have the proper equipment to scan the 1.5 cars. Some of the shops I called even tried to tell me that there is no such thing as OBD 1.5

Jamie

Many mechanics try to tell me that, they have never owned a 1.5 before to know the difference.

My mechanic scans my 94 Bonneville with a snap-on reader.

Pretty detailed too....cycles, shift points, all electronics etc...I dont know exactly what all was read but I watched him scan through dozens of sub categories and readings were changing as it ran.

I also had a preliminary type scan and print out of basic items scanned at an advanced auto.

Jamie

Many mechanics try to tell me that, they have never owned a 1.5 before to know the difference.

I'm always amazed when people say that... I'm a "shadetree" mechanic, and I know the difference. How can a regular mechanic not know, unless they specialize in imports and have never been handed the keys to any '95-'96 W?

There is NO OBD 1.5. Those cars are OBD-I with flashable ecms..."OBD 1.5" is just what some people refer to it as since it's a step up from the old non-flashable OBD-I and is not quite full blown OBD-II yet.

There is NO OBD 1.5. Those cars are OBD-I with flashable ecms..."OBD 1.5" is just what some people refer to it as since it's a step up from the old non-flashable OBD-I and is not quite full blown OBD-II yet.

This is what I was taught in school too.

No, only GM will be able to read it for you, or so I'm told. You could always do an OBD 2 swap, someone may be able to post a link to where you can find all the information you need to do that.

Jamie

i will have to call BS on that one (sorry) my old man has a Snap-On scanner that plugs and plays with my 94 GP, and works fine, just have to have the correct adapter for it, and it reads it just fine...

it is obd1 with obd 2 interface

err... uh... was that said right? the connector is the obd 1 type. I need to stitch in an obd II port in parrallel and see if I can't get a scan done with the typical parts store scanner in a 94/95

I've found two autozones that have the scanner to help me, but thats all.

hmm...

When my throttle position sensor went out a couple of months ago, I took it down to a nearby neighborhood mechanic and he scanned the codes and diagnosed the problem perfectly, charging me $5 for the scan. I think I know who I'm taking my car to from now on...

Jamie

i will have to call BS on that one (sorry) my old man has a Snap-On scanner that plugs and plays with my 94 GP, and works fine, just have to have the correct adapter for it, and it reads it just fine...

No BS... Like I said in my follow up post, that is what I found in Canada, no one had the equipment to scan my car.

I have a scanner that will scan your car !!!

Any names or part numbers that some of us could go in and order??

Jamie

Alright, went to 3 advance auto's and 2 auto zones, went through a quarter tank of gas, and none of them could scan my car. They all recommended my "friendly neighborhood GM dealer" I'll have to look into that actron scanner mentioned above....if they still make it.