Removing convertible top frame from a car in junkyard

dhs1223

Found a 1994 Cutlass vert in a local yard today. Planning on going back on the weekend at which time I will photograph the vin plate so I can give you guys the information. It is a sad car, the inside is just disgusting.

As bad as it will be to work on, I would like to try and remove the top frame. The top pump is already gone. Has anyone ever removed the top frame? I know that in order to access the main attachment points, I will have to remove the rear quarter panel trim pieces. Is there anything else I should know?

The car, as I mentioned, is pretty much trashed, no tail lights, but the lip spoiler is still on the trunk lid, front hood is gone, convertible top is trash, badly shrunken and ripped, rear window lying in back seat. All of the belt trim except the drivers door is still there, badly faded but complete otherwise and the strut tower brace is still in the car (3.4 version)

I am hoping to get all or most of the rubber seals from the top, A-pillar post and doors off the car in one piece as I would like the conversation about getting some of these parts reproduced going again. If I can get these parts off of this car in relatively good shape, I will provide them as samples to send to a manufacturer.

Thanks in advance for any input you have about removing a top frame, I plan to go back to the yard this Saturday to remove it.

It's pretty easy. Some friends got one out in under an hour.

Join here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/8895cutlasssupremeconvertible/ and I have the convertible supplement in the files section...Also the guys that removed the top from a '95 are in the group and I'm sure would be happy to help.