180 degree stat

SmokesGTP

Have any of you guys running a 180* noticed your car running cooler than it normally did? I'm just wondering cause my cars in the shop now and its gonna be getting a new thermostat and I was wondering if it was a good idea or not.

I recently replaced my t-stat, and stuck with the stock 195*, and the new t-stat combined with brand new coolant, the car runs at 160-165* on the highway, and never hits 220* in town at stoplights.

Robby

Have any of you guys running a 180* noticed your car running cooler than it normally did? I'm just wondering cause my cars in the shop now and its gonna be getting a new thermostat and I was wondering if it was a good idea or not.

yes :wink:

Alright but I remember reading on I think it was eriks site that it doesn't make much difference so thats why I was wondering.

On the Modifications page, it's a good idea.

On the FAQ's page it's not such a good idea.

Ok... need to fix that... sorry.

I had Vegeta write up the FAQ answer since he knew more about the ECM "Closed Loop" situtation.

*I* personally think it's a good idea for lots of stop + go driving, especially for the LQ1.

- Erik

yes, it'll run 15 degrees cooler

Theoretically the car would run 15 degrees cooler, but that is not necessarily the case. When you replace the thermostat with a cooler themostat you are only allowing the coolant to start circulating at a lower temperature. (The thermostat will open @ 180 degrees instead of 195) If you are sitting in traffic so no cool air is blowing at your radiator, it isn't going to do any good unless your fans turn on lower also because the radiator won't be able to cool the coolant if it isn't getting any cool air. So for the T-Stat to be effective in stop and go traffic, you need your fan turn on points altered, but for highway driving it will make a big difference.

I recommend a colder thermostat to anyone considering one. It will allow the engine to run cooler, which reduces knock and many other things.

We run a drilled 160 degree thermostat in the GTP and we have a fan switch, and the PCM has altered fan turn on points at something like 182 degrees or something. It generally runs about 165 degrees, but mostly because if we see it starting to get higher than 160 we turn the fans on low. We run a drilled 180 degree t-stat in the SSEi with stock fan turn on points and no fan switch. The SSEi generally runs about 185 degrees on the freeway, and gets up to ~215 (where the stock fan turn on points are) in long periods of stop and go traffic.

My dad claims the engines were designed to run warm because that is where the best coplete combustion occurs, which leads to better gas mileage.

What are your guys thoughts on this.

By the way, he used to be professional diesel mechanic (has a degree from one of the top community colleges in the nation), on tractors and big rigs.

that is true, but also, if the engine is running too hot, combustion will not occure properly... you'd have to monitor it almost constantly with some damn good fans to keep it at the temp... that, and you'd have to find the combustion temperature. mostly though, these guys are saing it because when the engine is running cooler, the air around it isn't as hot, so the air sucked in to the engine isn't as hot, so, more power ;)