Ticking noise

JPaganel

I have just replaced my water pump on the 3.1. Now that it is no longer making noise, I can hear a quiet rapid ticking coming from the engine. I have been told it is the valvetrain. Most 3.1s and 2.8s I've seen had it.

Is that normal, or do most of my friends have crappy cars? How serious is this? How can I fix it?

If it only does it for a short period of time it is usually a lifter that is collapsing.

I was told by an old man many years ago to drain a quart of oil from the oil pan and replace it with a quart of Dextron Tranny fluid (F-type appearently has grit). He said to run the motor only at idle for about a half an hour or until the ticking stops. He said to watch the temp gauge carefully. I tried it on a 350 Chev motor that had a constant ticking noise that sounded like it was in the heart of the motor towards the cam. After the motor idled for about 10 minutes the ticking stopped. I changed the oil and I never heard it again! I don't recommend anyone try this! Especially on a turbo motor, but as long as you only idle the motor, it may work for you too... 8)

• 4 weeks later...