zmax?

supreme_style21

Wondering if any of you guys have dumped that zmax into your car and tranny.. I can't really justify the like 40 bucks for it unless its really damn good. I see that sonyman had put it in his car and has awesome luck, so thats a good sign. What else do you guys think of it?

My opinion: STAY FAR AWAY FROM IT! Check this:

The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products. -http://www3.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm

:shock:

If that product contains chlorinated additives then it can promote oil oxidation and corrosion.

It might contain corrosion inhibitors in their formulation, these should be viewed as a merely short-term fix and cannot provide a long-term protection.

I have Duralube that I was going to use with my car but found an article about chlorinated additives and I have not used it and it just sitting in my garage.

Other new products and many of the after-market oil additive products that utilize these ingredients do not state or do not put on the label of the container "contains chlorinated additives.

Check this out:

http://www.greasedlightning.com.au/information/chlorine.htm

Thanks for the info!!!

I’m glad I have not been a real religious user of this product.

It’s too expensive to use as much as they want you to. I have used it 4 times in a span of about 40,000 miles. I didn’t notice much difference with performance the first time using it, actually a drop in performance! The second time using it i did notice improved gas mileage. Nevertheless, it was a temporary thing; it only lasted for about 4000 miles.

My main purpose of using it was to clean out the engine of gunk. I guess I will have to find a new product for that.

Does anyone know of any good products to clean the internal engine?

Does your engine really get that gunky?

I tore the heads off my red Cutty at 168k miles... no additives, just regular oil changes, and it was super clean. The only thing I noticed was a light coating of oil varnish, but I don't know of anything that will clean that off safely.

I put it in b/c of the condition of my car when i bought it. It ran like complete dog $hit. The O2 sensor was shot, plugs gaped at .060 and up ,origional wires, oil line leaks, and vacume leaks. the list goes on. it was at only 104,000 miles when i got it. I also got 3000 under book price at the time. There was an extream buildup of carbon in the engine noticeable in the exaust. I figured it was worth a shot after watching an info merchial on zmax and video clip of it eating away carbon like it was nothing. i figured it was worth a shot.

As you can now tell the engine works like a dream now. so i have no complaints so far. except the shitty trany that likes to slip gear at 30mph when you stomp on the gas.

Little story how that started happend.

just crusing the strip and i slamed on the gas at 30mph and the tach reached 8500 burried the REDLINE in an AUTOMATIC and scared the crap out of me. The trany was a little low on fluid i got a pan drop that week after that happend and it only does it now once or twice a month only to the rev limiter. ~6300rpm

lukez34 has heard it a few times.

8500rpms does sound extream. but it happend

i forgot to mention the the engine died when it did that, but started right up like nothing was wrong. Guess i was extreamly lucky it didnt go.