What oil weight do you use?

Spectrum

What oil weight do you use?  

1. 1. What oil weight do you use?

that thing with royal purple is suprising

x2 But of course the website is going to be bias, its an Amsoil sponsored site, gee, I wonder if they will point out the flaws in the competition.

Here are a couple things they don't tell you about "Moly" otherwise known as Molybdenum; (quotes from wiki)

It has the sixth highest melting point of any element, and for this reason it is often used in high-strength steel alloys.

- I'd put money on it that this is why Royal purple doesn't break down, and in order for the element to clog filters, the oil would have to break down! I've been using Royal Purple for 2 years this september, not once have I seen a filter break down or get clogged... and I use everyones favorite filter, Fram (the one specially designed for synthetic oils)

^^^^^^^^ note the sarcasm in "everyones favorite"

Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) is used as a lubricant and an anti-corrosion agent. It forms strong films on metallic surfaces, and is highly resistant to both extreme temperatures and high pressure.

- I'm sold!

What I don't like about that Amsoil site is that they throw a lot of acronyms and numbers at you, and quite frankly confuses your mind if you don't know what they are talking about. I'll show it to my gf when she gets up and see what she says, I bet she laughs... (she is a chemical physics major at the University of Waterloo, she will likely understand what they are saying)

Also, what it says about Moly being banned by Cummins, doesn't shock me. Most auto manufactures put right in their warranties that if you don't use the brands of oil that the dealership carries, then your warrenty will be void, so in a sense, without actually saying it a lot of warranties would be void by using Amsoil as well.

You will also notice they only tested the heavy viscosity racing oils, not the thinner oils we would use in our cars, I wonder why they wouldn't use a more common viscosity.

Sorry for getting this off topic... just had to defend my oil! lol

Back on topic... Every GM car I have driven, as far as I can remember, says 5w30 only on the cap. Could be because I'm in Canada and we get pretty frigged up here in the winter.

Jamie

If you read the page on your manual where it shows the thermometer and which oil to use, it shows 10W30 for higher temps. and 5w30 for every temp and then it says (preferred) beside 5w30. Thats what I run all year round. It also says 5W30 on the cap. Maybe If you engine has a lot of leaks and is extremely high mileage, then you may want to run 10w30.

• 2 weeks later...

I run fully synthetic 10W-30 year round. (NAPAs brand is same as Valvoline.)

75-500 is the part number.

I run the synthetic in all 3 of my W-body cars. That way I can go and rob a quart of oil out of the trunk of another car if I need it. *Laughs*

Drive it like you stole it! :burnout:

Esso XD-3 0W-30 full synthetic. Its been 50,000km and almost 4 years since my last oil change, and its still running great with no signs of sludge or even of oil thickening.

Costs about $4/L, but well worth it, IMHO.

Interestingly enough, when I got the car, it had a diet of Pennzoil all its life from its previous owner, 3k mile oil changes. When I removed the throttle body to clean the idle air passages and to perform the oil drive seal fix, the throttle body and intake hose were all gummed up with oily deposits that were hard to remove.

I recently pulled the intake and throttle body off again for cleaning, and everything wiped away very cleanly with a dry rag.

Bottom line: a quality synthetic oil, almost never changed, keeps the engine cleaner overall than changing a crappy dino oil often. Plus I've saved 50L+ of oil easily thus far. I get a good laugh out of the people at the office or even my relatives who freak out if they've exceeded 3000 miles or whatever, lol.

I use valvoline maxlife synthetic. 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer.

I run the synthetic in all 3 of my W-body cars. That way I can go and rob a quart of oil out of the trunk of another car if I need it. *Laughs*

napa's oil is made by valvoline, but its their recycled oil...

I use valvoline maxlife synthetic. 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer.

napa's oil is made by valvoline, but its their recycled oil...

Myth - recycled oils must say so on the bottle, pick one up and see.

Synthetic oil is made from fresh stock not reused oil.

Same oil - just bottled in different bottles.

Later.