What oil weight do you use?

Spectrum

What oil weight do you use?  

1. 1. What oil weight do you use?

Summer the Lumina ran 10W30...winter I raun 5W30 in it...though I am considering switching it to a 0W30 synthetic this winter when it comes out of storage to get the top end lubricated faster on cold started (makes so much noise until the oil gets up there).

My Millenia runs 10W30 year round, unless it REAL cold..I dunno what I will run in it though this winter..haven't decided if I'm even driivng it this winter lol

I run 10w30 in everything i own year round. We rarely drop below 15 degrees in the winter and in the summer it gets up into the 90's pretty much everyday. I don't really see any reason to run something lighter like 5w30.

Amsoil 0W-30 Series 2000 Synthetic has been great with all the hard winter starts the cutty has had over the past 4 years in either PA or IL. This was especially true with all the below 0*F days we had this past winter here in Chicago. :thumb:

5w30 Royal Purple for mine all the time

I get a lot of "why bother spending that kind of money on your engine oil" but to those people i say STFU! I've noticed considerable improvements in my engine since I started using it, both in the way the engine runs and sounds and the mileage. Not to mention, I have no doubt in my mind that if I had a conventional oil in my engine when I filled the crank case with coolant, I would of had to replace the engine. Every shop I took it to thought my engine was fucked, GM told me not to even bother trying to fix it and just swap the engine. We figure I probably drove about 1km dumping coolant out my exhaust pipe. When I pulled the rad plug it was empty, the crank case had about 7 or 8L of crap in it.

Royal Purple FTW!

Jamie

5w30 Royal Purple for mine all the time

I get a lot of "why bother spending that kind of money on your engine oil" but to those people i say STFU! I've noticed considerable improvements in my engine since I started using it, both in the way the engine runs and sounds and the mileage. Not to mention, I have no doubt in my mind that if I had a conventional oil in my engine when I filled the crank case with coolant, I would of had to replace the engine. Every shop I took it to thought my engine was fucked, GM told me not to even bother trying to fix it and just swap the engine. We figure I probably drove about 1km dumping coolant out my exhaust pipe. When I pulled the rad plug it was empty, the crank case had about 7 or 8L of crap in it.

Royal Purple FTW!

Jamie

When was this??

When was this??

Engine went I believe in April or May of 2006, I spent months researching how to fix it myself to no avail. Everyone I talked to told me a different way to deal with the cam shafts, and coincidently enough every way I was told contradicted the other. GM said it was a waste of time to do it, but they would do the head gaskets for $2200 plus parts, I told them where to go and how to get there. The shop I usually went to was a bit better at $1500 plus parts... still told them where to go. I ended up taking it to some half assed dumb ass that took 3 weeks to do the job (he said it would take 3 days), but he did it for $500 plus parts.

When I got it back it actually ran better than it did before the gaskets had blown. 4 of the 6 cylinders were blown, a 5th was nearly gone, the 6th was fine. Strangely enough it wasn't something that happened over time, all 4 cylinders seemed to give out at the same time, because there was never anything in my oil or any smoke coming out the back end leading up to that day.

Jamie

I use the multipurpose oil out of the 55gal drum. You can use it in your engine, transmission, power steering, and even in the coolant for the extra heat displacement!

Actually I use 5w30 Royal Purple and just change the filter. So far I have 6,000mile on it. I figure since I got a new engine going in, I should do like that one guy on here said... that well filtered oil is better than new oil because the oil isn't actually broken in yet. I want to see if thats true. I will send in a batch after I hit 8,000miles.

Jarek

Amsoil 0W-30 Series 2000 Synthetic has been great with all the hard winter starts the cutty has had over the past 4 years in either PA or IL. This was especially true with all the below 0*F days we had this past winter here in Chicago. :thumb:

Yeah same here in Buffalo. 0*F = 0w30 amsoil. I also enjoy having 6k miles on the oil and it still has a gold color when check the level.