Broken wheel stud??

super_fro_daddy

Well, I broke a wheel stud. I searched on here and it said I could just pound it out and pund a new one in.

Do I just use a little sledgehammer and give it a few good hits?? It sounds too easy to me but I am no expert.

Thanks.

never had to do a back stud. But if you have clearance to pound the new one in, then that is all that is requires. if you don't, then just remove the 4 bolts that hold the hub assembly in. Gotta remove the caliper, rotor and bracket. also disconnect the abs sensor if you have one.

also, if you can't pound it, but if you can get some threads through, take the lugnut and put that on the bolt to force it through.

I was thinking the same thing. Another question I had about putting it on was you just put it on and when you put the lugs on it just locks the stud on. Correct??

Thanks

it will take quite a bit of force.

I tightened 'er down pretty hard but there is still a tiny bit not pulled thru. I'm ready to get out the cheather bar, but am scared I will break it again.

a rear stud i believe just slides right in, no hub removal required.

It may actually, now that I think about it.

For sure on the hub removal for the fronts though.

When I broke the wheel stud off my Lumina I cut the stud in half with a hack saw so I could push it through the back without removing the hub - and I went to the GM parts desk and bought a shorter stud that went in without hub removal, and still did the job. I don't have aftermarket wheels so I really don't care how long the stud was as long as it got some of the lug nut - it was a part listed for my car so obviously meant for what I used it for!

• 1 month later...

yeah i took some studs into my gm dealer.... and asked if they had shorter ones..... they gave me OEM studs... they were like a quarter inch shorter than any i had bought at parts stores... which was perfect to get in without hub removal.......