• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CSI_MuNkY

• 19Cutlass94

• AWeb80

• pwmin

11 pages, geez, this thread is almost to loudcut specs

Well... I'm not selling the car, lol

I'm actually trying to figure out what I can do to correct the over steer I have. The car handles like its on rails in the short sharp turns, but the long sweeping & fast turns the back end starts to slide out a bit.

I think I've done all I'm doing for this year, who knows what next year will hold!

Jamie

Well... "MO POWAH!" Has to wait till I get MO MONEY to do an engine swap... Got lots of ideas for that, but they are just ideas, I'm probably 2 years away from an engine swap (realistically)

Jamie

oversteer is great...i love it

you have a front stb? if not, that might help.

Nope, thats the only thing I don't have, I can't find one that fits my budget, and I'll make my own before I fork over $100+ US for one. I would of made one while I was doing the work, but time just didn't permit it.

Jamie

you have the ES poly bushings for teh front sway bar?

I have basically the same setup you do, and the only time I have bad oversteer is if i'm just being stupid or really trying to do it.

Do the bushings and a front STB, i bet that helps...you need the front as tight as the back is.

I do have the bushings up front, no bar yet though like I said. Matt offered up an F-bar for $25, I may just take him up on that offer in the next couple weeks :dunno: we'll see how money is...

Jamie

I do have the bushings up front, no bar yet though like I said. Matt offered up an F-bar for $25, I may just take him up on that offer in the next couple weeks :dunno: we'll see how money is...

Jamie

do that, then PM me and we'll see what is up...

maybe you need stickier tires.....mine are performance summer tires and i really have to try like I said to get the back to go....hit the brakes in a turn or let off the gas quick in a turn can do it for me.

With a FWD in order to keep the rear from kicking out like it is doing you need to have a stiffer front end. The problem you are now running into is that your rear is so stiff that it does not want to give any and your front is giving in more then the rear. Almost like a RWD now when you go around the turns. I expeirenced this in my Probe GT. I just tightened up the front end more and it helped out a bit. But you may want to remove that swaybar or get a smaller one in the rear.

Just some suggestions based on exp.

BTW Love the setup. I want to do the same but I think I will stay away from lowering it for this year.

Well its safe to say, sway bar is staying, 100%. We will see if there is an improvement with the F-bar up front.

Something my brother brought up... Most aftermarket STBs are adjustable, so you can preload them. Basically it would push the 2 towers apart farther just by a hair. I think if just the F-Bar doesn't do the trick I might try making an adjustable one. I need practice with a welder anyways! I could also take the STB out of the rear and see if that makes a difference...

My dad thought I wasn't going to have to worry about this whole rear end sliding thing. He figured for sure that I would have issues with the ass end bouncing all over the road in the bends. When I told him what weight of springs I got his eyes damn near popped out of his head. Apparently the springs in his 71 Nova are only rated at 150lb/in or something like that... and here I am with 300lb/in.

Jamie

The rear springs in mine are 250. Although Ive got adjustable STB's from RSM racing when they were still around. I deff dont have this problem though. Could be that your spring rates are just too high and it doesnt let the ass end settle enough when turning.

Mine does the ass end thing too but not that bad. I have 250s in mine. I was thinking about some progressive rate springs. This might help the handling problems that us straight rate guys have. Also, I don't think higher grip tires would be a bad idea.

Jarek

I personally think the 300lb. spring rate is too much. I have the 250's (which Michael claimed to be the best mix of ride and performance) but they were still stiff as hell.

I personally think the 300lb. spring rate is too much. I have the 250's (which Michael claimed to be the best mix of ride and performance) but they were still stiff as hell.

Well surprisingly enough, the ride is a really nice. Its not that harsh, and it handles great (with the exception of the oversteer when I really push the car into a corner)

Jamie

the ricer bounce...i'm assuming that you mean the front-back pogo that happens when you drive over a bump in the road. If so, this means that your spring rate is too high for your shocks. Properly matched shocks and springs wont do this.

I don't get the bounce your talking about. And I know what your talking about, my brother gets it BAD in his Mazda MX6, along with a bunch of clunks rattles and bangs with every bump.

The only bad thing I have in my suspension flex is a hell of a clunk when I hit a bump hard. Its coming from the right front. I'm pretty certain its the tire hitting the body, but neither is showing signs of abuse :dunno:

Jamie

the ricer bounce...i'm assuming that you mean the front-back pogo that happens when you drive over a bump in the road. If so, this means that your spring rate is too high for your shocks. Properly matched shocks and springs wont do this.

Exactly.

Did you upgrade the rear shocks when you did the coilovers? I am assuming you did.

Like I said I had the KYB GR2's with the FFP CO's and the ride was pretty bad. Having my focus I now understand what a "sport tuned" suspension is supposed to feel like.