2002 Century Lowering Springs/Struts

OhioGuy82

The Century is in desperate need of lowering springs and or struts. The area roads are pretty curvy here. I'de like to improve the handling characteristics. Where can I buy a set of Springs or Struts?

welcome! you have the red headed step child of the w-bodies !!

you have the same suspension as a 98+ regal(and 97-03 grand prix among others), so just order stuff for a regal. no one lists the century.

i recommend these springs. i have them and love'em. NO POGO!!! i do not recommend eibachs for our cars, too harsh.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=454&catid=138

and then KYB GR2's are a favorite among many here, myself included. get them at ZZP as well.

wow, with that low of miles i wouldnt bother with either. maybe get new sway bars and a strut tower brace. and not to mention its the backup car so its not worth dumping unnecessary money into it.

• 4 weeks later...

i thought about getting the KYB GR2 struts for my Regal GS but i've heard that most lowering springs for these cars have too high of spring rate to be used with the GR2 struts, causing harsh ride and very short strut life. the GR2 is really just a replacement strut. i decided to order a set of KYB AGX adjustable struts yesterday. pretty expensive though, the AGX struts were about $408 for all four (i got them from a place that sells them much cheaper than ZZP, Wbodystore.com or anywhere else that i have seen). the four KYB strut mounts i ordered were another $198 on top of that.

i'll be using the SSC springs. i don't think the spring rate is as high as Eibach or Intrax so i'm hoping the AGX/SSC combo works out nicely.

if you don't want to lower your car, i would get the GR2 struts and the GMPP handling kit.

i thought about getting the KYB GR2 struts for my Regal GS but i've heard that most lowering springs for these cars have too high of spring rate to be used with the GR2 struts, causing harsh ride and very short strut life.

the SSC springs are the exception. thats why its ok to use the GR2 with them. The AGX struts are a requirement for the eibach or b+g springs.

i thought about getting the KYB GR2 struts for my Regal GS but i've heard that most lowering springs for these cars have too high of spring rate to be used with the GR2 struts, causing harsh ride and very short strut life.

the SSC springs are the exception. thats why its ok to use the GR2 with them. The AGX struts are a requirement for the eibach or b+g springs.

i don't know for myself yet of course, but i've heard people say they are quite a bit stiffer than stock springs....so much so that some people reverted back to a stock setup from the SSC/GR2 combo. although most people have said they aren't nearly as stiff as Eibach springs. from what i have read the Vogtland lowering springs are the softest, and even those came with adjustable Koni struts in the GMPP kit. i just didn't want to chance it and end up regretting choosing the GR2s.

• 3 months later...

i hate to bump up an older thread, but i wanted to recant my previous statement in this thread.

TurboSedan is right! The GR2 should NOT be coupled with any lowering spring, even the SSC. I installed the GR2/SSC combo 6 months ago, and my struts are now blown and noisy as hell!

yup that's where i got mine. i am itching to drive my car! it looks sooo much better now that it is lowered. i had the engine out for awhile to replace the lower motor mount bracket bolts. almost got everything ready but still waiting on fuel line o-rings and crossover-to-rear exhaust manifold bolts before i can fire it up. i haven't driven my Regal in over 3 months.

i bought the crossover pipe bolts from the GM dealership, although i did find them by using the PN at paceperformance.com. i tried finding the bolts at NAPA, CarQuest, Checker and a local exhaust shop and they didn't have anything. i can't find my receipt right now but i'll post the PN if/when i do find it. as for the lower motor mount bracket bolts i got them from a guy over on the regalgs.org forum.

btw, the AGX/SSC combo kicks ass! rides great and handles bumps very well. i couldn't be happier with the ride quality and the looks. i had them set on #1 for the first 35 miles then turned them all up to #2. the ride firmed up considerably. not sure if i'd want the car to ride any more stiff than that.