4T60 vs 4T60-E

pradecki

Do any of you know if I used a turbo 3.1 if it would work on the 4T60-E. What are the differences between the ecm in the '89 '90 turbo version versus the later non-turbo ones?

Although, the 3.4 DOHC did use the -E with OBD 1.

I'm sure if you could get the trans code info and apply it to the 3.1 chip, it may work. Don't quote me on it though, I have absolutely NO programming experience with automobiles.

Although, the 3.4 DOHC did use the -E with OBD 1.

I'm sure if you could get the trans code info and apply it to the 3.1 chip, it may work. Don't quote me on it though, I have absolutely NO programming experience with automobiles.

Did the LQ1 use a 4t60-E or a 4T65-E, the wiring harness couldn't be too much different although it would take some work.

4t60e-hd. The 4t65e wasn't available until the 2nd gens. Theres a bit more than just a harness change involved. The 4t60 and 4t60e are both controlled by vacuum. The 4t65e is all electronic.

I'm not htat familiar with ECMs .Does the '93 ECM control when the car shifts or what actually tells the tranny to shift? If so how was shifting actuated by the '89 and '90 non-E trannies?

The other alternative is to keep the '93 ecm and just add the turbo. Would the ECM be able to detect the increase air and automatically increase the fuel output or what? Is there some type of readout I could hook up to my ecm to program more fuel? Is there any good resource with information about how ECMs function/how to program them/re-flash them etc.?

It is, to an extent. It isn't fully electronically controlled. There is still a vacuum controlled shift modulator.

if you could get the wiring right and get the 4t60e-hd in would it work with boost? I know the vacuum modulators on the TGPs are special.

how does the 4T60e-HD compareto the regular 4t60-hd strength wise, would it hold up better or worse?

It is, to an extent. It isn't fully electronically controlled. There is still a vacuum controlled shift modulator.

if you could get the wiring right and get the 4t60e-hd in would it work with boost? I know the vacuum modulators on the TGPs are special.

how does the 4T60e-HD compareto the regular 4t60-hd strength wise, would it hold up better or worse?

Truthfully, yes, you could get it to work right. Just look at any 1st gen 3.4 guy that's turbo'd his car. All 3.4 cars got the 4t60e-hd or the 284.

Whats different about the vacuum modulator in the tgp and the NA cars? I've never heard of any difference.

Really, as far as internals go, I don't think there is much difference, other than some electronics. But, I'm no trans expert.

I don't think the modulators are any different. The turbo trannys have a check valve in the line right before the modulator, I don't think the N/A ones do. it's just a ~$2 3 way valve you can get at autozone.

The one in my TGP is much smaller than a NA one, but I don't have a check valve in the line. I should take a picture to compare.

there should be, otherwise you will have hard shifting problems. You must have an aftermarket/replacement modulator, the original was huge too.

Yes, on your TGP, you MUST have a 3 way check valve or it will shift extremely hard... when I bought my TGP, it didn't have a check valve on it and it shifted so hard it almost squealed the tires on all shifts :eek: New check valve fixed it.

Well it does shift hard with vacuum but under boost it seems to shift fine. I'll go buy a check valve like you said and see if that helps.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the Thread Hi-jack

I'm not htat familiar with ECMs .Does the '93 ECM control when the car shifts or what actually tells the tranny to shift? If so how was shifting actuated by the '89 and '90 non-E trannies?

The other alternative is to keep the '93 ecm and just add the turbo. Would the ECM be able to detect the increase air and automatically increase the fuel output or what? Is there some type of readout I could hook up to my ecm to program more fuel? Is there any good resource with information about how ECMs function/how to program them/re-flash them etc.?

I'm pretty sure you would need to program the Ecm to recognize the boost and add more fuel, larger injectors and a better fuel pump would probably also be in order. Hopefully some other members will be able to answer your questions about tuning, cuz I know very little about it.

One of the chip tuner's here may be able to combine the TGP code w/ the code necessary to control the 60-E. Send a private message to "TGPilot" on the board here and he can probably help you out...

I thought you had to have the 4t60 trans that went with the turbo due to the fact that you would tear the trans up really quick. The turbo has different gears and gear ratios than the standard one does, IIRC.