AC R12 to R134a conversion kit

Hairdo12

hey have any of you guys used this kit? my ac just has a very low charge of r12 and doesnt leak. what are some important steps i should take in doing this? thanks

hey have any of you guys used this kit? my ac just has a very low charge of r12 and doesnt leak. what are some important steps i should take in doing this? thanks

Yeah, but it was on an already developed conversion set-up on a 1993 Saturn SL1.

You may be better off recharging with R-12, since:

* need to completely evacuate the AC system

* change oil in the AC system to PAG oil

* install a new compressor since R-134a condenses at a different temp than R-12

Now, R-134a is cheaper and easier to locate, but if your R-12 system is intact, don't change over.

Plus, R-12 is acutally blows colder than R-134a.

- Erik

I remember seeing this stuff last year, allegedly you can change your whole system right on over to 134a using those kits without changing the compressor, seals or o rings or anything. I was considering doing it if I ever find the vacuum leak that is not allowing my A/C to blow thru the dash vents.

So what is the REAL truth here? Anybody involved in doing this stuff for a living that can give insight here?

Keep your R-12 if your system isn't leaking. You can also find alternate refrigerants for your R-12. R-12 is banned in Canada but I used this shit called "Redtek" which is colder than both R-12 and R-134a and it's completely compatible with both. It's a lot less expensive than converting to R-134a and it's a lot less expensive than R-12.

Yeah, but it was on an already developed conversion set-up on a 1993 Saturn SL1.

You may be better off recharging with R-12, since:

* need to completely evacuate the AC system

* change oil in the AC system to PAG oil

* install a new compressor since R-134a condenses at a different temp than R-12

Now, R-134a is cheaper and easier to locate, but if your R-12 system is intact, don't change over.

Plus, R-12 is acutally blows colder than R-134a.

- Erik

I converted mine to r134 and my a/c pump locked up so I put another a/c compressor on filled it with r134 and worked for about a week and then that pumps clutch wouldnt engage to work so i just bypasses the compressor all together with a new serpintine belt so now all I have is 2/60 air 2 windows down and 60mph :lol:

You have to get a garage to order it for you. It's made by a company called Wurth. It's about $12.00 per can here in Vancouver. Only technicians with an air conditioning license can order it. It's easy to add, it's like adding R-12. Each can is good for about 600g or so. It took 2 cans in my Regal, and I have the 3800 TPI.

where do you pick that "redtek" stuff up at? Do you think i can find that stuff in edmonton? How much CDN?

Folks..

If your a/c suddenly is not working and not blowing cold air, either it is low on charge or more than likely it has develop a leak.

Easiest way to diagnose between leak and low on charge is to add 2 cans of the charge and a leak detector (flourescent dye with goggles). The charge should hold up and if it is not holding the charge then use your goggle and you will find where the leak is coming from. Do not add anymore charge until you fix the leak. Small leak might be fixed with a leak sealer but large leak needs to be fix or replaced.

Folks who decided that well my charge is low or there is no more cold air and they decided to convert to R-134a must think first. Was there a leak in the first place or not?

Anytime you convert to a new refrigerant either R-134a or replacement R-12 type, you must evacuate all the existing charge. Get a new accumulator and get the same oil charge (must be either ESTER OR PAG OIL) for the compressor and if you can afford a new compressor then get one. You need to use a vacuum pump and let it hold the vacuum for 1 hour or so and see if the vacuum holds. If the vacuum holds then you know there is no leak. Then you can put a new refrigerant 3 cans, oil charge and throw a small amount of leak detector just in case.

When we bought our TGP in December it had been converted to R-134a a year before. So it was converted a year and a half ago, and it still works great, and I don't believe there are any leaks, it still has the original compressor and everything. If it quits working I will let you know, but if it is done properly it will work good, but just not be as cold as the original stuff.

When we bought our TGP in December it had been converted to R-134a a year before. So it was converted a year and a half ago, and it still works great, and I don't believe there are any leaks, it still has the original compressor and everything. If it quits working I will let you know, but if it is done properly it will work good, but just not be as cold as the original stuff.

Original accumulator as well?

I have been using R-134a in the '89 for years and it cools great.

I had to convert the '88 to R-134a also, but it works like ass.

Mainly I didn't want to use alternatives because R-134a is cheap, and I'm a cheap bastard.

I don't know why one works great and the other one doesn't, but the '89 had a problem where it blew hot air until I took it on the highway. Then suddenly it started cooling awesome and has ever since. The '88 was cooling right away, but only to 50-60 degrees or so. It never got better.

I know there illeagle, but I have 8 12 oz cans of r-12 that I am willing to part with.....

In WI... all the shops are charging like 80.00 per pound (72.50 is what the crooks @ the epa are making everyone charge), so like 5 bux a ounce....

I will let em go for 50.00 a can U pay shipping.. but I dont have a hoze that i can lend out.... mine barely works and I would be afraid of lending it out to some one cause of the laibility issue......

let me know.....

later

joe

I know there illeagle, but I have 8 12 oz cans of r-12 that I am willing to part with.....

In WI... all the shops are charging like 80.00 per pound (72.50 is what the crooks @ the epa are making everyone charge), so like 5 bux a ounce....

I will let em go for 50.00 a can U pay shipping.. but I dont have a hoze that i can lend out.... mine barely works and I would be afraid of lending it out to some one cause of the laibility issue......

let me know.....

later

joe

I've got some cans of that stuff...but I could maybe use some more :wink: And I got a brand new hose off of ebay about a year ago....:D