Hello- I'm David. "Hello David"

DavidHowell3633

I've been convertiblizing for one year. I researched the whole "what's available" in rag tops question since my wife and I can't both fit on my motorcycle any more. We've outgrown it, if you know what I mean. I wanted to find a Cutlass Supreme convertible cause a) I like the looks, B) it is substantial enough to carry the family, and 3) I have always liked Oldsmobiles for some reason. I had a 85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham? or something like that after a long string of rice burners and fell in love. I had trouble finding a convertible I could afford. Then, one Sunday while being lost with the family way out in the tennessee cawntryside, the sun was setting and I was on a road I had never been before, when down in a holler (you know what that is don't you?) I caught a glimpse of the car. Red with a black top. Had white shoe polish "For Sale - $1700" on the windshield with a phone number. I called the number and a genuine good ol boy came down to talk to me. His wife sat in the truck and cried since the car was hers. We negotiated and I drove it home. The wipers squirter didn't work. I found that out when I drove through a fog bank and had to wipe the windshield. Just smeared the shoe polish all over. I'm squinting and looking for a road sign. Every once in a while some warning light would come on- then go off. Very entertaining. The AC worked sort of, but, the compressor bearing was wailing. Low Coolant level! When I got to a street light I checked and had plenty of coolant. Just love computers, don't you? Today, it's a daily driver and weekend excursion mobile blowing 40 degrees out the vents. I had a leak in one of the hydraulic rams that I traced to a boss in the upper fitting. I cleaned it- JBWelded and let it cure for three days. Been fine ever since. I had a guy put a new top and pads on- $500- my largest expense so far, but I couldn't have installed it. The engine is a 3100 from a Buick. It has 47,000 miles on it and is probably the best thing about the car. The right rear window would come out of the track going up. I found a supplier of those window clips and tightened up the channel and fixed that. The top pump motor works good going down, not up- without pressing the button a few times. The rebuilder said to bring it back and he would reglue the magnets if this happened and I just haven't done it. I replaced the sunvisors from a donor 2-door from Bobby Whites junk yard, Columbia, TN. Great guy- good yard that gets weedwhacked around each car. I've had to replace the driver's door handle- twice. I had to oil the heck out of the trunk lid springs until that worked. That's about it. I have $2900 in the car and my biggest problem now is this: when the weather is warm and I'm climbing these TN hills, the trans forgets it has OD. You wont even know it unless you are watching the tach. Pull over, whiz, get some tea and the car will be fine. CrazyK has helped me understand where/how to install a trans cooler. I pulled the pan and changed the filter and all lokked good there. If I can answer any questions, I would be happy to. I enjoy tinkering on the autos.

By the way, my motorcycle is for sale. It's old school Honda- 83 CB1000 Custom, 21000 miles and cherry, unlike my convertible with 149k. Anyway, my horns work after I plugged in the wires so if I see you I'll honk. And, I have vacuum now that I found the break near the horns. Oh, I got rid of the flakey light show on my dash too. I pulled the skirts off the bottom of the dash, used compressed air to blow dust, and reconnected all the wiring. I found the halogen lights for the brake light at K-Mart for 77 cents each. What a find. Y'all take care, david

I see nothing about his whole posting that seems unbelievable and don't worry David, When I first joined here I got called a liar too. I think it's just standard protocol to welcome new members. Welcome to the forum ya fuckin liar!!!