would a 3.4 DOHC fit in my 89 cutlass?

phantomFE3

hey i am probably not gonna do this but i am just wondering if i had a 3.4 DOHC v6 and put it in my 89 cutlass that has a 3.1 would it fit? would i have to get the transmission from the 3.4 or keep the one from the 3.1?

Yeah, it'll fit. However you may have to drill new motor mounts holes for installation.

Plus, you'd have to swap the under-carriage (engine sub-frame) with the DOHC motor / tranny from the donor car.

Also, you'll need to wire it up to the instrument panel and various on-vehicle sensors.

You'll want the tranny from the DOHC since it's properly geared and wired to the ECM.

- RedFox340

that would be sweet, im not gonna do it with my phantom, im gonna keep it original, but for some reason i like the , what is it, 3rd gen? the kind i have? cutlasses have been around for a while, but yah i like the looks of mine (89) rather than the the newer ones for some reason, im gonna have to save up and make a cutty BEAST!! buy an 89, swap in a built up DOHC 3.4, strip the interior, make it a racer, yeehaw! :peace: prolly in a couple years though, when i have a place to put 2 more cars

that would be sweet, im not gonna do it with my phantom, im gonna keep it original, but for some reason i like the , what is it, 3rd gen? the kind i have? cutlasses have been around for a while, but yah i like the looks of mine (89) rather than the the newer ones for some reason, im gonna have to save up and make a cutty BEAST!! buy an 89, swap in a built up DOHC 3.4, strip the interior, make it a racer, yeehaw! :peace: prolly in a couple years though, when i have a place to put 2 more cars

You own a Generation I W-Body.

I'd save it and bring it back to factory condition.

I like it when rare models are restored; fix em' don't crush em'.

- RedFox340

so what are the pre-1988 cutlasses called? just, cutlasses? no w-body? because i know back in the 60's cutlasses were some pretty mean muscle cars, one of my dream cars is a 72 cutlass 442 or maybe a 67 Cutlass with the w-30 intake would be cool, im more of a muscle car guy than a newer car guy, you look in the engine bay of a 69 camaro and then look in the engine bay of a new montecarlo, geesh! wires and tubes and shit running everywhere, i liked it when the the only maine hoses/wires running off the engine that you could see was the coolant hoses from the radiator and some coming off the carburetor! not as much stuff to ruin

No, the Cutlass and it's RWD "brothers" from GM were G-Bodies started way back.

The body name (example: Beretta's + Corsica were a L-Body) is given to a specific frame.

N-Bodies applies to the Grand Am, Malibu, 1998+ Cutlass, Alero, etc.

F-Bodies were the Camaro / Firebird.

J-Bodies are the Cavalier / Sunfire and the previous Sunbird.

... and so on and so forth... get the picture?

- RedFox340

oooh ya, i get it, lol it looks like you have done your home work studied for the test, took the test and aced it, good job, maybe one day i too will learn that much about body styles of different cars! my hero.. :worship:

lol thanks for clearing that up, i like the RWD cutlasses and monte's and stuff, they look kinda cool

actually the cutlass was an a-body till 72, not sure about 73-77, g in 78 then w in 89.

And then the Cutlass turned to a N-Body in 1998.

Ooh... good history lesson Patgizz. Thanks for setting it straight!

- RedFox340