Parking brake

Spectrum

Use your parking brake?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Use your parking brake?

I agree!! I use mine a couple times a week now to keep everything moving and well adjusted.

People don't seem to know that using your parking brake is what keeps your rear calipers adjusted on these cars. This is why people are changing their front pads so often.

completely illogical design too, because how often do normal people use parking brakes. half of them probably don't even use them on hills.

By the way' date=' according to MN law [b']it is illegal to park your car on a public street without setting your parking brake[/b]. I remember that one very well from the driver's ed class, I don't think most people actully do this, but that is the law.

REALLY?? Its the law? Wow I don't know ANYBODY who sets their parking brake (unless it is a manual). I would use mine in the GP, but like I mentioned before, it doesn't work. :lol:

Yeah me either, really no way to enforce it either, other than looking in every car parked on the street to see if the pedal is down :lol:

By the way' date=' according to MN law [b']it is illegal to park your car on a public street without setting your parking brake[/b]. I remember that one very well from the driver's ed class, I don't think most people actully do this, but that is the law.

REALLY?? Its the law? Wow I don't know ANYBODY who sets their parking brake (unless it is a manual). I would use mine in the GP, but like I mentioned before, it doesn't work. :lol:

Yeah me either, really no way to enforce it either, other than looking in every car parked on the street to see if the pedal is down :lol:

And not all parking brake pedals stay down when they are on- like the pump-to-set type- some don't stay down- yeah really no way for them to know :lol:

yeah really no way for them to know :lol:

They could push the car and see if it bounces off the parking pawl, or gear that it's in. Or if it pops out of gear. :lol:

Haha that could mean that the parking brake is on, but it is just THAT worn out. :lol:

I use my parking brakes about 1/2 the time. usually if I'm on slightly sloped ground. But I make sure they work.

Hey, It's there for a purpose. It is also an emergency brake incase of a total system failure...

I remembering reading about someone hitting a deer in the dark with a GM... which sheared open the hood, knocked the power and engine out of commission, and broke off the master cylinder.... so they could only stop their PWNED car with only the E brake! fix it right or be sorry guys!

Hey, It's there for a purpose. It is also an emergency brake incase of a total system failure...

I remembering reading about someone hitting a deer in the dark with a GM... which sheared open the hood, knocked the power and engine out of commission, and broke off the master cylinder.... so they could only stop their PWNED car with only the E brake! fix it right or be sorry guys!

It can be used as an emergency brake, but pump-to-set doesn't work that great in emergencies!

If you read the manual, GM makes no mention of using the park brake in an emergency. They never refer to it as an "emergency brake" either. It's like they knew the park brake was a crappy system from the beginning, so "we never called it an 'emergency brake' so don't sue us if it doesn't stop the car in an emergency".

It can be used as an emergency brake, but pump-to-set doesn't work that great in emergencies!

If you read the manual, GM makes no mention of using the park brake in an emergency. They never refer to it as an "emergency brake" either. It's like they knew the park brake was a crappy system from the beginning, so "we never called it an 'emergency brake' so don't sue us if it doesn't stop the car in an emergency".

this I am aware of... And I think it's a travesty that GM fucked up.

but there is a solution! 'mr member' who said we would do a write-up... upgraded his 93 down car to have 94+ brake rear brakes and 94+ cables but used the pump to set pedal and said that is works pretty well. and the 94+ cars themselves have good emergency brakes. so the solution is to upgrade!

:)

this I am aware of... And I think it's a travesty that GM fucked up.

but there is a solution! 'mr member' who said we would do a write-up... upgraded his 93 down car to have 94+ brake rear brakes and 94+ cables but used the pump to set pedal and said that is works pretty well. and the 94+ cars themselves have good emergency brakes. so the solution is to upgrade!

:)

x2

The solution will be my in-depth write-up on full custom big brakes starting sometime next month...13" front brakes and 12.5" rear brakes FTMFW!!!! :burnout:

An yes, the brackets will be for sale for other wanting to do the upgrade...

The solution will be my in-depth write-up on full custom big brakes starting sometime next month...13" front brakes and 12.5" rear brakes FTMFW!!!! :burnout:

on what car?

Neither of my cars have working ebrakes. The GTP's probably just needs adjusted. The lebaron doesn't even have a cable in there I don't think haha, and its a 5spd.

on what car?

My 92 Z34.... Well as of now that is the plan... I may trade it for a 86 Camaro... TPI 350 FTW!!! If that doesn't go through, then the brake upgrade will be in motion....

Ummmm, am I gonna get flamed for using Ford brake parts??? :lol:

• 3 months later...

I converted my pump to set to the one pump kind on my 91 Regal GS. I went to the junk yard and pulled one from a 99 Monte Carlo. I used my cable that was coming through the floor. I had to bend the lower bracket on the new one a little bit until it was level with the other bracket. The holes lined up perfect. I used a few washers and the stock bolts I took off the old pedal assembly. hooked up the cable and got under the car and adjusted it as tight as I could get it. NO DRILLING OR FABRICATION TO THE CAR. I ONLY BENT THAT ONE BRACKET ON THE PEDAL ASSEMBLY. Took me a total of 45 minutes from the time I took the first bolt out of the old unit till I adjusted the cable. It has been working for be for about 8 months now with no problem. I have been using it everytime I go to the track to do a burnout. It still doesn't hold the car any better than stock but it is very easy to set it and burnout and release. My rear wheels don't lockup, but it does help hold it back a little.