When is idle re-leanr needed?

chadz34

i've never done it. never seen any need to myself. but i guess some cars are really cranky about it. all i have to do when i have the battery unhooked is turn the key on for a few seconds, turn it off. then turn it back on so it doesn't stall out like mad.

I just had the battery in my Lumina changed last month, and I had to do an idle re-learn to keep it from stalling and spiking constantly.

My 96' is more fucked with the idle thing than my 92' Z34. :confused:

ive never had to do it, and thats with the battery dying multiple times, timing belt changes, alternators dying, etc :dunno:

lolol never ever had to do it with mine. mine is a 94

It's an OBD-I thing, and regardless not all cars need it. No first-gen I've owned needed it.

Mine is fussy about it and I HAVE to do it, or the engine will surge like a bitch at idle in drive...and it'll drop down real low when you hit the gas off the line/stall out. Don't ask me why.

I've never been a fan of how low my car used to idle, so last time I did the relearn I turned all my accessories on so there would be maximum strain on the motor...so when I relearned the idle and turned the accessories off it was at a nice 1000rpm idle speed...

Well, it *should* learn it over a number of miles driving as well...though mine never seems to do that, just gets worse and worse...and then all the ppl above who stated they've never had to relearn the idle lol..

whenever i unhook my battery during winter "storage" and hook it back up ~2 months later....the car runs normal right away.

my bat is unhooked now and will prolly start the car up in another week or two....i'll see how it does then too.