W body keyless remote box survey

My understanding is that the early W's are notorious for having broken keyless remote reciever boxes like mine. Is this as common as I think it is? Is there a source for new or remanufactured boxes that costs less than $200 that GM wants. Lets hear from all the broken boxes out there. Maybe a group purchase could get us a discount...

Sure, I can fix yours.

Yes, the problem is widespread. I don't think it's possible to find a good used one.

My '89 Cutlass Supreme had a good one, but I replaced it with an aftermarket alarm system so I put it in my sister's 90 Cutty because it had a bad one.

Eventually, the one I put in the 90 Cutty went bad too.

The one in my TGP was bad when I got it.

The one in my 94 Cutty convertible was bad when I got it.

So that's 4 out of 4 modules that went bad.

So far, I think I was able to fix them all with soldering.

Hmm.. I've got 260km on my 1st gen. cutty and the original remote box still works like a charm. What's goes bad on them?

From what I've seen in junyards and other people's rides the OEM antenna, the rear calipers, the GM paint job, and some interior parts are almost always in terrible shape on the early cutlass supremes. There are exceptions though, of course. :)

I don't think you will find anything that easily connects to the factory harness since most aftermarket alarms don't support progressive unlocking. I think DEI (makers of Viper, Python, Sidewinder, etc) is one of the few companies that make alarms capable of progressive unlocking.

BTW, your 88 will not have keyless entry. It was an option starting in '89.

Shawn I would like you to fix my keyless box but i think the damage is done. It has already been taken apart and resoldered TWICE. Once by me and once by a local auto electric shop. I think the contacts are butchered pretty good. I'm willing to try anything if you got a suggestion.